What to do if you rushed a cat introduction

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
quitonaia
New Cat Chatter

What to do if you rushed a cat introduction

Post by quitonaia »

Hi everyone,

I am writing because I have two kittens - Quito (male, 5 months - getting neutered tomorrow) and we just got Naia (female, 4 months, spayed). We got her 3 days ago.

We received so much different advice about their introduction. The rescue place where we adopted her from said not to worry too much about introductions, that they will sort it out. So we have been keeping them apart when we aren't here or when we are asleep, but for the most part they are together when we are here.

Quito is VERY playful (always has been with us, often bites). She is very delicate and when she plays it is very minimal and gentle. Quito has been stalking her nonstop and attacking her. I can't tell if he thinks he is playing or is just aggressive. Either way he is literally obsessed with her. When we separate her he paws at her door and is hard to distract.

When he attacks her, she hisses and growls, and her ears go back. So I am assuming this means she does't like it. She is interested in him but he does all the stalking and she is almost always his prey!

We have been increasing alone time. I am hoping that Quito's behaviour will decrease once he is neutered... But I am starting to get worried he is too aggressive with her and is a bully. Any ideas or advice will be greatly appreciated of how to smooth over this rough introduction. I don't want to have to give her back!!!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: What to do if you rushed a cat introduction

Post by Ruth B »

I am sure they will be fine, it will just take a bit of time.

At 5 months Quito is getting towards maturity and the hormones will be starting to flow. Once he is neutered he will settle down a bit but it might take a bit of time. Males in my experience are always a bit more boisterous than females, even after neutering there will always be more testosterone in a male cat than in a female. It could also be that even though she is spayed he is still aware of her as a female and just wants to do what comes naturally.

While by the sound of things Nala isn't appreciating his attention as long as he isn't actually harming her she should be alright. If possible try and give her somewhere high up, even if he can easily reach it, have the high ground will help her confidence and put her in a better position to strike back.

When they are apart try and play with him as much as possible running him around the room to try and tire him out a bit. It might not help but it is worth a try.

My own lad Saturn is just over two years old and was neutered at about 3 months. He will still pick on the two girls given half a chance, not nastily and not intending to hurt them, just as a way of showing off and trying to tell them how impressive he is and that he is master of all around him. It is just the typical laddish behaviour you find in all species, humans included.