Advice need for new cat introduction :)

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
mand
New Cat Chatter

Advice need for new cat introduction :)

Post by mand »

Hi all

My mum has a 3.5 year old female cat (Mel) and has had her since she was 6 months old. She has never been out before or met any other cats and of late she seems stressed, bored, walking the flat for most of the day. We want her to be happy so thought perhaps she needs some outdoor space.

I'm soon to be moving in to a flat myself and will be rescuing a house cat, I wondered whether to take Mel in to see if company would help her, and if it doesn't then hopefully we can find someone with a garden where Mel can be more free.

If I were to get another cat, what would be the best way to introduce the two of them. Should I bring them both to the new flat on the same day? Let them get used to each other (hopefully!) and the new flat at the same time? Or should one be introduced first.

Also, if Mel is a female (neutered) 3.5 year old, can I introduce another cat any sex and any age? Or should it be a similar age and same sex.

Any advice would be amazing.

Many thanks x
GitaBooks
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Advice need for new cat introduction :)

Post by GitaBooks »

That is very considerate of you that you see she is feeling stressed. Was there any change in her environment? Does she have enough hiding places and places to climb and feel secure? Does she seem healthy? If everything else is already and she truly is just bored and stressed then another companion could be a wonderful idea.
Adult cats can be aggressive towards other adults but are often fearful of kittens and take a long time to get over the fact they are so small and playful, though it depends on the cat.
Female cats are prone to fighting with one another, so it would be best to take in a male that seems good with other cats and isn't too pushy. I know our cat, Genny, doesn't like other cats but will get over a male being near her better than a female.
An outdoor run would be amazing. I know someone who has it for her cats and they adore it. They spend hours out there and the fresh air and new scents and sights provide excellent mental and physical stimulation while keeping the cat safe and close to home.

As for introductions. If you plan on moving your mother's cat to your home then you could either introduce her first so that she is comfortable in the environment before the new cat, or introduce the new cat first so that your cat doesn't have to relax only to have a new stressor thrown her way.

I hope this can help you. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have. : )
mand
New Cat Chatter

Post by mand »

Hi :) Thanks for getting back to me.

No changes in her home environment and plenty of hidey places. She seems healthy, too.

Thank you for all your tips, I would love to have a boy so that's what I shall aim for. A run sounds like a good idea, where I'm moving to has a HUGE (but not escape proof) balcony, however a neighbour has a dog and her smell will be everywhere, they may not like it, what do you think? Someone also suggested talking them for a walk on a lead lol, I think it would scare the daylights out of them? I would be willing to try (and take the funny looks) though, if it made them happy :)
mand
New Cat Chatter

Post by mand »

Is age relevant? (I won't be getting a kitten)
GitaBooks
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by GitaBooks »

Age doesn't matter as much as personality, but elderly cats are more stressed with change and less likely to except new cats, so ages 1-5 would probably be better.

Walking a cat on a leash could work, but I agree with you, I think they would spook. I know mine would. :mrgreen:

The smell of dogs can stress some cats, but others will walk right by them and even taunt them if they know they are safe. Just make sure the dog can't somehow reach your cat. If its a balcony then I don't the dog could.
catly254
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by catly254 »

I would advise you to keep them separated at first to allow you enough space to determine when and how you can introduce them to each other.