Concern about my Aunts Cat

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
grahambaker70
New Cat Chatter

Concern about my Aunts Cat

Post by grahambaker70 »

Hi,

My Aunt recently passed and we rescued her cat Mandy and she is currently at the Battersea Cats home in Brands Hatch. Sadly things are not looking great for her. She was with my Aunt for 6 years and has only ever lived in the flat and never went outside. My Aunt loved Mandy and treated her well however Mandy was never really socialized around people, she arrived at my Aunts at an early age.

This has meant that whilst she is happy to adjust to new surroundings she is not interested in making friends with people and would be rather left alone. The carer at Battersea told me that whilst she is happy there she does not like to be handled, and will hiss at you when you approach her, they have done their very best to help Mandy but she has been there now for 25 days and showing now signs of improving leading them to feel that she is not a good candidate to be adopted or for even fostering, the prognosis is not good.

When I went to get her from my Aunts flat she allowed me to stroke her chin and ears, she has never met me before which I took as a good sign, however when it came time to move her she was claws, hissing, growling and swiping. Then she was quiet when we traveled to Battersea. I accepted the claws and hissing as behavior of a cat being moved out of their home, but I am saddened that Mandy has a few more problems as she is not happy with people, like I mentioned I dont think she was socialized at a young age and grew up with just my aunt and a few carers for company.

I do believe that Mandy will improve given a lot more time than most cats and I am looking for advice on where to look for Long term fostering with an environment that can help her to adjust to a new life. I am also looking for a bit of advice/help on why she is like she is to help me understand more.

I would appreciate any comments or help.

Many thanks,

Graham
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Concern about my Aunts Cat

Post by Kay »

I think you will need to check with Battersea that you could take her to another place, before you make plans to do so, because it is my understanding that once a cat has been signed over it cannot be removed again

ideally a home with another older lady living alone would likely suit Mandy best - have Battersea thought about steering any such potential adopter in her direction? are there any day centres who would put up a 'Wanted - Good Home' notice? would any local vets put up an ad? they might know of someone who has recently lost a cat

are you in contact with any of your late aunt's carers, who might be able to shed some more light on Mandy's character?
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Concern about my Aunts Cat

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome Graham, poor Mandy she must feel very distraught at being moved and losing her carer and home and it’s good that you’re caring so much for her as I’m sure your gran want that. I agree with Kay though, a bit more information would really help from people who knew her and another elderly lady in a quiet home would probably suit her well, although it may take some time to settle. If she settled with your mum, and let you stroke her initially it sounds like will settle again in the right home and I don’t understand what they mean by things aren’t looking good for her? I don’t think 25 days is long for a cat to be like that if they have that temperament in a strange environment, she may be totally different in time if she’s taken to another home . I hope that you manage to sort it, it is a worry that they’ve said that. I take it there’s no other family or friends who’d be able to adopt her?