Rescued and so loved, but...

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
willow
New Cat Chatter

Rescued and so loved, but...

Post by willow »

...she's started to sleep outside again. And it's cold.
Over a year ago we found her hanging around while moving a friend out of her house. She was so friendly and cute. As we were driving out of the driveway the last time my grandson saw her sitting in the middle of it just sitting and watching us go. He told me we had to go back and get her, and here she is.
I'm a traveling nurse and recently had to leave her and my other cat (I raised this one from a baby) for a longer time than usual. For some reason, she won't stay in her spot on the closet shelf any more. She stays outside in the patio chair (with a pillow and blanket for cuddling). Every time I try to bring her in and put her back in her sleeping spot she jumps down and goes back out the cat door. I worry that Max (my spoiled brat) might have hurt her or scared her. I keep bringing her in and cuddling her as long as I can, but she keeps wriggling out of my arms and out she goes.
What can I do? I worry about her. And want her to come back in with us.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Rescued and so loved, but...

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

This is cats for you. She's obviously decided that the year's turning, it's spring, and she's afraid of missing something. Although to humans it's a cold April, to a cat, especially an ex-feral accustomed to the outdoors, it's full of new life and possibilities.

I understand how you feel though; two of mine were ferals and now I should hate them to roam even by day (this isn't a good area for cats; too much traffic and loose dogs and my garden is now secured) although in their youth they used to get me up at 3 :shock: to open the cellar window and let them get the day started.

If you're really unhappy about letting her out at night, could the catflap be secured to keep her in? I know there are differing opinions on whether cats should be allowed out at night - depends on where we all live, and it can be very hard to compromise with a cat, as they are BOSS lol.

If you live in a safe area and she can get back in if she needs to though, I think she will decide whether to come in if she's uncomfortable out there.

Hopefully there will be other views and advice on this but hope this helps for now, all the best :)
willow
New Cat Chatter

Post by willow »

Thank you for the quick response. I never thought about how she lived before. It makes more sense. I do live in s safe area (mountain like) although we have the occasional raccoon or skunk. She does come in several times a day to eat.
Funny how much I worry about them when I have to leave. This last time ended up being for 4 nights.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

I would let her be if it’s safe outside, and she’s happy. We care for ferals and one of them will not get in a kennel at night, he’d rather sit under a bush! the other two get in theirs but he won’t, I wish he would, there’s three huts in the garden but I think he tootles to the allotments behind us at night, no idea why, but hey ho.