New rescue cat in poor state, advice needed on strengthening up and introducing to existing cat

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Shortbread
Frequent Cat Chatter

New rescue cat in poor state, advice needed on strengthening up and introducing to existing cat

Post by Shortbread »

Dear all,

I have one established cat of 14yo, and have had him since a rescue kitten with his sister, who sadly had to be put down last month as she was long term ill and just gave up.Our existing cat, Louis, is very sweet natured and gentle so I'm hoping he'll adapt alright to another cat with time and a slow introduction.

Yesterday we took a 4yo Maine Coone from our local rescue center, and he's in a terrible state. Very emaciated, obviously thrown out into the street and abandoned. He only weighs 4.8kg, which for an adult maine coon is tiny, all his pelvic bones REALLY stick out! He feels too light and is listless and just needs to sleep pretty much 24/7. He's an extremely friendly and chilled out cat, but seems very depressed, so although he's friendly to us, he just retreats to his basket and wants to be left alone. My old girl was depressed for the 6m before she was put down so I recognise the signs.

Sp here's what I'm doing:

Feliway everywhere as plugins for stress.
Zylkene once a day in wet food to combat stress and depression.
Feeding wet food twice a day and royal canin biscuits ad libitum to help fatten him up!
He has a safe room/suite with his own bathroom, all his beds, sofa and food, toys etc.
Leaving him in his safe room, but going there several times a day to say a quiet hello, or watch tv quietly to just give him some company.

Just now I've brought him up from his safe room which is in the basement, as it's very dingy there, and since he's depressed, I want him to try and be a part of family life, where there is household noise from our boys (7 & 11), but they're being deliberately quiet and gentle for him. He didn't want to leave his bed downstairs, but seemed interested when I showed him the birds in our garden (from inside of course), and our fish tank. Right now he's cuddled up next to me on the sofa in the living room and seeming alright to be a part of family life.

Here's the other problem, I can't leave him upstairs as his older established brother was hissing at him this morning (3m introduction) and so I have to reduce the frequency of these visits. I know from experience with my other cat that was depressed, that I always had to force the situation with her, and bring her our of her literal dark hiding place and into family life. This always made a huge impact and cured her depression. My gut instinct tells me I need to do the same with him, but obviously there are limits in terms of meeting his new big brother so as not to cause stress to either or them.

What do you think, should I try speeding up the introduction, so that I can help his depression and get him eating well, or delay introductions completely, but leave him in his darker basement - I do leave lights on to help, as well as leaving him one dark part to retreat to. He has a large window light, but there's still not much daylight there, and family life is mostly upstairs although we are careful to make sure we keep visiting him.

Thanks, I could do with advice for feeding him up and the rate of introduction given he's obviously depressed.

Heather
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: New rescue cat in poor state, advice needed on strengthening up and introducing to existing cat

Post by Lilith »

Hi there and good on you for taking in this poor chap.

There will be people on here with more experience than me in feeding an emaciated cat, but from my own point of view, what you're doing sounds fine.

The introductions - again this is my personal view: he's very new and he's obviously very physically and psychologically stressed and at the moment I feel he just needs a safe place to get his breath back and find his paws (which is what you've given him) so I wouldn't hurry anything. But Louis spitting is pretty normal after only 24 hours. For a start, the newcomer will smell strange to Louis, and your household, cats and people, will smell strange to new cat; gradually this will wear off. Be prepared for sulks from Louis if he gets a so much of a scent of the newcomer ... lol I find a dish of tuna often mends fences in this situation.

I don't know if you've seen this section on here? https://www.catchat.org/index.php/new-cat-introductions

Even secure and well-fed cats can find a new home difficult; when I moved house one of mine hid behind furniture for days, so he's really doing very well; it's good that your children are so understanding too, bless them.

All the very best with him; please let us know how you all go on :)
Shortbread
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: New rescue cat in poor state, advice needed on strengthening up and introducing to existing cat

Post by Shortbread »

Hi Lilith,

thanks for your encouragement. We've had an incredible afternoon with the two cats. Rory decided to stay with us in the living room all afternoon just cuddled up to me or my hubby. When my old cat Louis came down at 7pm, Louis ignored him went outside to do his business, came back in had cuddles with me on the other sofa in sight of Rory, no sounds, no aggression, just being stroked by me. Rory was being petted by my hubby and likewise just enjoyed the attention and no aggression.

I then fed both of them as a reward for good behaviour. Afterwards though there was a meeting on the floor with growling and hissing for a minute, but Rory (new cat) backed off into a corner and Louis turned and walked away. Now they're both sleeping in opposite sides of the living room, albeit Louis in a high position in the room to assert dominance and Rory on the floor, half under the sofa, but they're tolerating each other peacefully!!! Louis looks genuinely asleep while Rory is very cautious and although he's trying to close his eyes, he keeps twitching and watching Louis. Peace though...already!

I'm sure there will be more hissing and growling over the next few days/weeks, but I'm really glad to see such peace already. Both cats have the choice to go elsewhere in the house but are choosing to stay in the same room. Very good. :-D :D :D :D

Our old girl that suffered from depression only got the depression as a result of house moves. She'd hide in the darkest spot of the house for a week or so and stop eating. I'd have to keep chasing her to make her come down and eat and come out of her hiding place. In the end I always used a child safety gate to force her to stay in the living room during the day so that she had company, light and sound and was distracted by lots of cuddles from feeling sad. So I sympathise for your cat, some take it really tough. She was always very over sensitive. :(

Heather
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I suspect you'll find they rub along OK from now on, albeit with a bit of squaring up now and then when they get too close

in my experience girls are much more difficult to integrate than boys, who much like most men are more interested in their home comforts than each other!!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey that's great news, congrats :D
Shortbread
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Shortbread »

Thanks, but I might have spoke too soon...I hung on in there for a couple of hours, got up to go the loo, then found Louis stalking Rory. When I got there the hissing and growling started :roll:

I'll keep ramping up their tightly supervised minglings over the next week or so, I still don't trust Louis to be alone with him. :roll: :roll: Oh well...some progress at least ;)
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Hi, I think you’re doing just right too, giving him the space to get his bearings, but also some time to get used to you. When I was fostering I found that it was better to bring the hidey ones out for a cuddle etc on and off to show them it’s safe, otherwise sometimes it will take ages to get the confidence. To be fair we had no other cats, but I’ve also done the same when introducing two of my own cats. There will most likely be some hissing and spitting for a while but it should soon settle, and even if they don’t become big friends they will most likely live alongside happily. Feeding them nice foods together usually is a good one to do! best of luck :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Uh oh, lol - well, Rome wasn't built in a day, as they say, and even cats in a well-established relationship will have the odd spat from time to time. Louis and New Boy will obviously need to work out boundaries and ground rules and there'll be a certain amount of 'trying it on' - on both sides. New Boy will be a big cat when he gets his proper weight back on; I doubt if he'll be a pushover lol. But although you'll need to keep supervising, it's evident that the new lad has decided that this is His home and he's here to stay.

All the best and please keep updating :)
Shortbread
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Shortbread »

Hi guys,

thanks for your advice XX

In cat land, Rory (new boy) is getting very bold, he lay out across the lintel of Louis' room (our bedroom LOL :lol: )!!!! Da da daaaaa! But he took a very submissive pose and just lay there making gooey eyes at Louis to persuade him to be friends. It seems to have worked as there was no hissing etc. Just Louis looking a bit freeked. Progress though!

Rory is getting much bolder in general too, I locked him in his safe room last night, and gave him the choice to come out or not this morning, he chose to come out and has stayed in my son's room for a couple of hours (as well as taking time out to make gooey eyes at BIG brother :lol: ). He has the choice to return to his own safe room, but is happy to stay out which is great. Looks like he's deciding to join our family after all, and that will mean the depression is gradually lifting. Phew!

:D :D xxx
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

:D Aww that’s great news, sounds like things are progressing nicely.