Tentatively thinking about adding a cat!

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
BabyBerlioz
Frequent Cat Chatter

Tentatively thinking about adding a cat!

Post by BabyBerlioz »

I have an 11 month old Maine Coon / Ragdoll cross. I bought him specifically because I was looking for a 'companion' cat for my 11 year old who is on the Autism Spectrum. I always felt guilty about buying but looked for 2 years for a suitable rescue but couldn't find one. Berlioz is just the best, very clever and affectionate, placid and playful. He has bonded more to me because I work from home and am with him all day but he is just great with my daughter.

We go away on holiday in 3 weeks and I was checking out a cat boarding place in July. The lady who runs it also rescues cats and this wee grey cat was desperately trying to make friends with me. She was there for re-homing because her owner was terminally ill and no family members wanted her. I was determined that I was not having another cat but over the weeks I thought of her often. Two weeks ago my cousin needed boarding for her cats as she is moving house and I recommended this place and asked her to see if the wee grey cat was still there. She was.

So I have phoned the lady and asked that when B goes in in October they will be in next to each other and after a few days if they look settled enough try them together to see how they get on. The new lady is about 6 and has a very gentle and friendly disposition like B. She is about 6 and has also always been an indoor cat. If they get on it is my intention to bring her home with us when I get back from holiday.

Just wondering really if anyone has any advice or anything I might need to consider before we do this?
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Tentatively thinking about adding a cat!

Post by Ruth B »

I think it sounds the perfect situation. You have obviously been thinking it through and I assume have considered the cost increase of going from one to two cats.

Having them close in the cattery will give them time to get used to the other while being kept apart, I would also suggest that they are kept apart for a few days at least when you bring them both home. Your home is B's territory and he might react a little differently to a cat that he met on neutral ground to the same cat seen as an intruder on his area. Follow the normal introduction advise and i doubt you will have a problem.

Don't expect them to become best buddies. Most cats can learn to cohabit, and some do generally seem to bond with another cat in residence but not all. I have heard so many people get upset because they introduced a new cat and thought their resident cat would be as enthusiastic as they were about it, and the cat turned out to be a little less than indifferent. Cats will be cats and they will choose who they want to be friends with not you. If they do become close friends it will be a bonus for you, if they don't you won't feel too aggrieved.

I admit I am a believer in 'what is meant to be' I won't call it fate that is too grand a term. If you weren't meant to have that little grey cat it would be happy in a new home by now. As it is still available I have a feeling that all will work out for the best.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Tentatively thinking about adding a cat!

Post by Lilith »

Hi there - to me this sounds great and I'd definitely go with my gut reaction - she's haunting you isn't she? :D

Plenty of good advice from Ruth, and hope Berlioz falls in love with the Grey Lady and she with him, poor little love, it would be great if they bond and she can have a loving home again - all the best :D