Considering a new addition

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
51 pegasi
New Cat Chatter

Considering a new addition

Post by 51 pegasi »

Hi everyone,
This is my first post so please be gentle and apologies in advance if I have posted this in the wrong place.

To cut a very long story short I have had cats in the past when I was working so this was never a worry, but my circumstances have changed.

If I was to find a middle aged house cat that would have me and (god forbid) s/he fell seriously ill would pet insurance cover all reasonable illnesses. Generally, are vets happy to bill the insurance companies direct? I understand there is an excess and if the illness is minor that wouldn't be an issue. I just don't want to take a cat on and not be able to look after him/her. I don't have access to a car and I live a good few miles from the nearest PDSA

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Adam
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Considering a new addition

Post by Kay »

welcome to the forum and possibly soon to be cat ownership

to keep insurance costs down you should consider a young cat with no existing conditions - as for vets willing to be paid direct by insurance companies, it is best to ask before registering - most will but there may be some insurance companies they won't deal with directly because of past issues

another alternative is to take on a cat with an existing condition, which the rescue will pay for future treatments - this is the only way they can rehome such cats, and they are usually older ones, which get overlooked - the rescue would want you to use their vet, where they get a discount, so that could be an issue if it wasn't near to you - but they might have a volunteer who would be able to take you

you need, I would suggest, to talk over what you are looking for, and what your circumstances are, with a rescue near you

good luck and let us know the outcome
51 pegasi
New Cat Chatter

Post by 51 pegasi »

Thanks Kay,

I'm now the proud owner of Tabitha, she's very shy but hopefully she will come out of her shell. Thanks again.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

That's good news. :) I hope you will keep us posted on Tabitha's progress.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hello & welcome we hope to hear more of Tabitha. So pleased she’s found her forever home. Vivian