Rescuing cats from a hoarder

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
MajorBuns
New Cat Chatter

Rescuing cats from a hoarder

Post by MajorBuns »

Hi, I'm having some real difficulty as I've been battling to rescue around 20 cats from a hoarder. Her property is sickening and smells of rot with rubbish everywhere and the cats look so hungry and miserable. The woman cannot be reasoned with and is foul, I've been in touch with the RSPCA for 3 years and they couldn't care less. She keeps leaving these cats in her home for week at work. Who can I call or report this to who will actually help because I'm bot leaving them in these conditions. (I'm I'm the UK) thanks
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Rescuing cats from a hoarder

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome - and good on you!

Depending on the branch, their workload and their resources, your local Cats' Protection may be able to help -

https://www.cats.org.uk/contact-cp

Or at least put you in touch with local rescues who do this kind of work.

With all the very best and please keep in touch.
MajorBuns
New Cat Chatter

Post by MajorBuns »

Hi thanks for the reply, I didn't reliese that cats protection could help with this sort of thing. Honestly I have lost faith In the RSPCA as I know we aren't the only reporters and have also heard of cats dying due to this woman. It's sickening. They have always contacted us and told us everything was fine but it really isn't. Thanks for the suggestion I'll look into it
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Perhaps you could mention the BBC next time you talk to them. That might bring them out of their hole. :x
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

CP can only step in with the owners permission, the only charity that have the legal powers to remove animals is the RSPCA - might be worth trying to get the local newspaper involved, might make the RSPCA step up
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

I didn't know the CP had to have the owner's permission - sorry.

Perhaps I shouldn't say this but in the long absences of a local 'owner' they turned up at least once to round up kittens, despite the 'owner's' still occasional appearances (the cats weren't cared for, they lived a feral life with access to a derelict house (I saw it) and were fed scraps like birds or squirrels if he had them; he was fond of them in just the same way, as if they were wildlife and not his responsibility. Poor chap, he could scarcely look after himself, never mind the cats; he wasn't dislikeable but the cats were hungry and thin and getting ready to produce more litters.) I took two litters myself (one from a nearby junk filled shed where the cats sheltered; the other was brought to me by their mother) and when 2 of the adults and a half-grown kitten moved in with me I was considered to be the owner and signed the consent for neutering.

But I have to admit this situation was a far greyer area than yours, MajorBuns.

All the best of luck, nevertheless :)
Last edited by Lilith on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I don't know if it would work, but could you contact the local council's environmental health department particularly if you have concerns about there being dead cats in there. They might have the power to force the RSPCA to go in.
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

The RSPCA have no right of entry and can not remove animals without the police and a vet who have to judge the animals to be at risk due to poor care and/or living conditions the best course of action is to befriend such people maybe take some cat food say your cats gone off it gain the persons trust and persuade them to let you help the cats act a bit thick grit your teeth bite your tongue until it bleeds and don't ever show your judging them its hard time consuming work but you do it for the animals good luck in finding a rescue who isn't already at breaking point with such work if you find one who will /can help at least meet them halfway and do the things I mentioned being a rescue RSPCA/ cat protection or whatever doesn't mean you can always do what may be best in an ideal world
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

Just an after thought to my previous post try asking local vets for contacts of local rescues including local RSPCA and cotactimg them yourself explaining the situation you may have some luck that way