Rehomed stray keeps leaving us

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Elmo
New Cat Chatter

Rehomed stray keeps leaving us

Post by Elmo »

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help.

Just over 6 weeks ago we took in a stray cat from a woman in our village who had been feeding him but couldn't keep him. We kept him in for 4 weeks, got him back to a good weight, sorted out his weeping eyes and had him castrated. He's been slightly affectionate towards us in the time and we've given him lots of treats, kindness and patience.
So a few weeks ago I let him out, he came back a couple of hours later and carried on doing so for a few days before vanishing. He was found 2 days later when he popped to the ladies house and she managed to entice him in and ring me.
We then kept him in for another 2 weeks, he made it clear that he wanted to go out but seemed relaxed and happy around us, even coming to sit on the sofa with me which he'd never done before.
Finally I let him out again on saturday, we were home all day with the door open for him but he never came back. He hasn't been to the other ladies house either.
I intend to collect him again if he goes back to hers and maybe keep him in until spring when it's warmer, despite his desire to go out, but am I doing the right thing if he clearly doesn't want to be here in our warm and loving home? How can I get him to stay and be happy. He won't be happy being an indoor cat, he doesn't play with toys and doesn't climb on or scratch at the posts and stuff we have, but sits on the windowsill watching the world outside.
He's 2 years old and im guessing was owned at sometime as he's not feral in his nature. We don't know if he was abandoned or ran from his last home or indeed how long he'd been stray, he was quite skinny when we took him in.
Any thoughts and advice appreciated, thank you.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Rehomed stray keeps leaving us

Post by Kay »

Don't despair - it usually takes from 6 to 8 weeks after castration for all testosterone to leave the body, and from what you say you haven't reached this point yet. So if you can get him back inside, a couple more weeks might make the difference.