Just rehomed 7 month old kitten ....5 year old existing cat not impressed !

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Lesabald
New Cat Chatter

Just rehomed 7 month old kitten ....5 year old existing cat not impressed !

Post by Lesabald »

Hi.
I know there are similar threads on here and this will be a variation of a recurring theme but i do need some guidance (reassurance)? We have a 5 year old tom who we rehomed 3 years ago as a companuon to our then 15 year old. Sadly we lost the elder cat in november aged 18 and after Christmas thought that if we were going to rehome we shld do it sooner rather than later before remaining cat got "used" to being alone. Our boy has always been really outgoing, loves his toys, always comes to let u know when he returns from a forray outside so u know he is back snd wants a snack lol
So on Friday we collected a 7 month old male kitten. He is used to being with other cats in his foster home, is a friendly wee thing and is very easy going. Having rehomed before i knew the drill about safe room, slow intros etc. On friday evening the new lad basically yelled the house down all night. In addition he dug up the carpet leaving enough space for both paws to get under the door. Our existing boy spent the night outside the door listening to this and watching 2 front legs waving thro the gap at bottom of door. Safe to say therefore scents were being exchanged !
In the morn against wot i would normally do i let the wee one explore the rest of the house and the boys had a f2f meeting. Stupid? Yes probably.
There was actually no drama. A few hisses from the older lad. The youngster just wants to play and follow his bro around. BUT our previously fun loving and extrovert wee cat seems to have retreated in on himself. He doesnt want to play, he doesnt look relaxed. Wen he goes out we are worried sick he wont come back as we have made him so unhappy. I am trying to give him as much attention as possible and we put the wee man back into his safe room a few hours a day and overnight .
I know it is VERY early days and this could all take weeks to settle down but i need to know if i have ruined the chances of them bonding as i rushed the initial intro so much. Today they have lain and slept about 2 feet apart for about 3 hours . Then the older boy went out and they had a bit of a scrap through the window wen he peered in. Would love to hear some advice or more importantly if anyone else has had similar experience of such a quick personality change. Will they settle ? Will our existing boy come back out of this shell he has retreated into ?

Thanks
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Just rehomed 7 month old kitten ....5 year old existing cat not impressed !

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome - sorry your thread got overlooked temporarily as there is a similar thread ongoing re introducing a kitten to older cats in this section.

Sounds like your guys have already made introductions, and honestly I'd say the remedy here, now, is time, and reassuring your senior boy that he's first. They usually do shake down together, despite verbals or accidental encounters; cats are communal creatures, and allowances are made for kittens by even the toughest cats.

I would try to keep the older cat in in for a while and make a big fuss of him; I wouldn't worry too much about him being downcast; they can be cross at first, but they come round. Talk to him a lot and love him out of it; in a while I feel he'll be very glad to have a friend; it's the shock of the new (and also the unfamiliar scent of the new cat) that he has to get used to.

All the very best - any questions you know where we are and please let us know how you get on :)
Lesabald
New Cat Chatter

Post by Lesabald »

Thank you ! Appreciate the response
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I was worried about Bob's reaction to the kittens, especially as one, Billy, clearly considers me 'mummy', and sits on my knee in the evening (Bob's favourite seat). The solution has been to move the kitten when Bob comes in. Now Bob gets his mum's knee and Billy lies alongside. Bob's total dislike of both kittens is slowly starting to mellow and Willow, our 14 year old 'dowager duchess' has even been caught washing Billy's face!

It will take time, but it is early days yet. I am sure that in time your cats will be fine with each other. :D
Lesabald
New Cat Chatter

Post by Lesabald »

Stories like this give me faith it will all work out in the end - thanks !