Taking things at her own pace?

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Jax
New Cat Chatter

Taking things at her own pace?

Post by Jax »

Hi all,

I usually take in strays that arrive at my door saying 'Hello, I'm your new cat', but after the loss of my last mog at 18.5 yrs I have adopted a young female on Sunday, about 18 month old stray. She loves to be fussed and stroked, always purrs and gets very blissed out, but she is very nervous of her new environment. I have given her her own, quiet little bedroom in the spare room with everything she needs - her own single bed and lots of toys and chairs and wicker baskets to climb on, as well as her food and litter of course.

When she arrived she decided the only safe place to be was under the bed, and she didn’t come out until it got dark lol!! She was always happy for me to reach under and stroke and fuss her under there, and usually comes out to purr and play every time I go in now, but doesn’t yet settle ‘out’ - she goes back in her cat cave to sleep every time. I screened off the landing so she could come into my bedroom too, and she has twice investigated every nook and cranny, had a few cuddles, and then gone back to her cave.

But I am undecided in my own mind whether to wait until she is really confident in the two rooms she has been allowed in so far, ie happy to settle and sleep on chairs or beds in the open, or start letting her explore the whole house for short periods?? Which do you think would be best for her??

She does seem to get overwhelmed/tired and put herself to bed in her cat cave after a short period, and I just leave her in peace when she does, let her rest – it must all be stressful for the little mite!! I feel like erring on the side of caution and wanting to see her confident in her limited surroundings before I give her more to deal with, but it does mean she will spend longer periods on her own in her little room for a few more days.

I suppose if I let her out more she's only going to run back to her cave each time anyway, so I'm thinking I'll wait until she seems to WANT to explore more.

Thanks All

Jax
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Taking things at her own pace?

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

Congrats on your new arrival - and you've got everything right. At the beginning you do need to love them and leave them alone; they need a hiding place and the more privacy they're given, the more confidence they build up. Sounds as if you could leave the doors open now, and let her decide when to start taking over the place ... as she will :D

All the very best, please let us know how she goes on :)
Jax
New Cat Chatter

Re: Taking things at her own pace?

Post by Jax »

Ah thanks, yes her cat cave is much more private than her chalet at the rescue centre was. I am feeling more and more that opening all the doors will set her back right now, the sight of my elderly father coming in to say hello really freaked her for some reason, she never showed any fear of me, so I think I'll avoid overwhelming her a little longer

A need for privacy would mean she's not bothered if she is left alone for a few hours while I go shopping or to bed. Maybe I could leave the doors open to my room overnight first.

Jax