Settling in advice please

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
morgan+princes mum
New Cat Chatter

Settling in advice please

Post by morgan+princes mum »

Hi everyone,

I’m new here so please be kind, but I’m just after some advice or reassurance that we’re doing he right thing.

On Sunday we became the proud owner of Morgan (5) and Prince (4), from a local rescue centre. When we’ve visited with them before Morgan has always been the more timid one whilst Prince was always in your face.

Soon as we bought them home we set them up in the living room, both went off to hide under the sofa as expected but they would let us fuss them under there. Wishing a few hours Morgan was out and about and although still a little timid has pretty much settled into the house to the point where he’s roaming around quite happily and asks for his breakfast and tea. Prince on the other hand has some out going moments, he’ll generally come out in an evening for a cuddle and sits on my knee happily being fussed but still will go under the sofa as his safe place.

Today my mum came round to meet them, Morgan has carried on being his usual self but I feel like Prince has gone back to square one- he’s letting me fuss him under the sofa but not coming out anymore- I know this is normal but just wanted to know if there was anything else we can do?

I can’t believe how they’ve switched roles since coming into the home, both have previously been house cats and separately but they bonded at the rescue centre so obviously we wanted to keep them as a double act. I’m wondering if Prince is finding it harder as he’s been in rescue since last summer whereas Morgan only went in at Christmas.

These are the first rescues I’ve ever had, I was brought up around cats, my mum bred Burmese and still has 5 but no longer breeds- but Burmese are a different kettle of fish to these beautiful boys!

All advice and tips are gratefully received.

Thanks for reading
lazarus
Experienced Cat Chatter

Re: Settling in advice please

Post by lazarus »

I'm no expert I can only say my two kittens when we got them would hide under the chairs or sideboard especially if a stranger (to them) came to the house. Took them about a week to become confident in their surroundings, now three weeks later they run about 90 mph round the house during their mad half hour chasing each other and if you happen to be sitting on their route they just run right over you :D
A week or two they will be climbing over you looking to be petted. A Feliway Classic diffuser may help settle them in http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_ ... way/169596
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi, and welcome to CC! First of all well done you for taking those boys in. They sound lucky to have found you. You got them on Sunday? It's early days yet, they are still settling in.

When we bought the kittens home Freddie was quite distant. It was Billy that wanted the cuddles. Now Freddie comes running when you call him and loves to snuggle while Billy likes contact but is very bossy with it.

I'd love to see some photos! :)
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

As the others have said, it can take time and you are only in the early days. One of mine took about 3 months to come out of his safe place (his igloo bed), but he was 9 at the time. He became a very friendly cat once over his initial nervousness.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new additions.

To me it sounds like things are going well, every cat is different in how long they take to settle in and how they react to any changes, like visitors. I've had cats that within minutes of being let out of the carrier were out exploring and others that spent the first few weeks if anyone was around. I have one cat at the moment that I adopted almost 3 years ago and I have some friends and family that have never seen her, if she hears a strange voice she hides under the bed. She is really fussy around myself and my husband, and can cope with a couple of friends who visit almost weekly, but anyone else sends her into cover.

Time is the best option and to let Prince make the decisions at his own pace, don't force interaction on him, a bit of fuss under the sofa is fine as long as he isn't trying to pull away, but don't drag him out to cuddle him or to meet people, he will no doubt do so in his own time.

I also adopted one quite a few years ago who was only about 5 years old and I was her fourth home. She came as a pair with her mother and over the years had been homed then returned to the charity when circumstances changed and the adopters couldn't keep them. It took her a long time to realise that this was her permanent home and that if something happened she wasn't going to just be returned to live in a pen again.

It is always the question with rescues or rehomed cats, the charities will tell you what they can but the cats past will always contain a certain amount of unknowns. I am sure that once Prince realised that this is his forever home he will be a very affectionate and friendly cat for you.
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by filardimarg-9 »

I adopted Bella 1st October last year, she was very frightened, ran upstairs when we got home from the RSPCA & is still there, she does come down now but not for many minutes & usually to let me know it is food time, she lives in my bedroom & loves fuss, almost craves fuss, she eats well but I think she had a very bad background before I had her.......
I think your 2 are doing just fine, I wish Bella was as outgoing as your 2 kitties.

Good luck.

Marg.
Mags976
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mags976 »

Two of mine were like this and switch roles! The previously brave one took weeks to come out of hiding and the nervous one completely came out of his shell here. Both confident now though but it took some time for the previously brave one