Adopted Cat

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
jb12
Frequent Cat Chatter

Adopted Cat

Post by jb12 »

May sound like a silly question but my newly adopted 7 year old rescue cat seems totally at home and not showing any of the signs I have read about so is this a good sign or should I be concerned?
thx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Adopted Cat

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

Congrats on the new arrival and that sounds great - some cats just are like that, hope you both have many happy years ahead of you :D
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

did you adopt him directly from another home? or was he in a rescue first? I suspect cats who have fended for themselves as strays, or as ferals, find settling into a new home the most difficult, as they have usually learned to be wary of humans, and may never have experienced a domestic situation

it may be if he has had a home before, yours reminds him of it - it would be great if he has had a good life until he found himself needing a new home, as like people cats without baggage make the easiest pets
jb12
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by jb12 »

Hi Kay
She was from a rescue home and you are right is used to a domestic situations, just ones that clearly didnt pan out for her.
Im sensing over anxiety on my part and should thank my lucky stars!
Thanks for responding.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

my guess is that you are providing a quiet peaceful home that she didn't get before - is that right? in my experience girl cats hate noise and disturbance more than boys, and thrive on being an only cat, or close to it

you may be a match made in heaven - I do hope so
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

As Kay and Lilith say, some cats just accept a new home without fuss, others don't. Many years ago I adopted two cats who had been in the same home. Honey settled in straight away but Misty stayed aloof for 3 months. You can never tell!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

One of the strangest adoptions that happened to me (well, do we adopt cats or do they adopt us?) was after 3 female ferals (plus kittens) moved in with me over 15 years ago, and of course when you have kittens, there are toms. One old big ginger guy was really hostile, he was NOT friendly. He seemed totally wild and set in his ways. Then he disappeared for a while and turned up the following spring, not a happy camper, with a running abscess on his backside and clearly hungry. Started to feed him, he unbent a little. Thought I'd get him neutered and cleaned up (bad ears as well) and go on feeding him. Thought he'd never speak to me again the day he came home from the vet's ... he sat down to wash the essentials and recoiled in shock. Where the hell had his balls gone??? :o :shock:

Within the week he moved in. And with loud purrs discovered the bed. He was one of the most loving, soppy, adorable cats I've ever lived with, and the extraordinary thing was, he loved everyone who came to the house. I used to say he was half golden Labrador ...

Fusses to your girl, JB and so glad she's settling so well :)