Two cats looking for the love they deserve (London)

Rescue Shelters - post details of cats needing homes here (NB: PLEASE put your Location in the Subject line)
If you need to rehome your own cat, please click "Find your local Cat Rescue Shelters" below...
pwfc
New Cat Chatter

Two cats looking for the love they deserve (London)

Post by pwfc »

Hi,

My wife and I are looking for someone who can give our two cats-of-a-certain-age (11 & 12) the life and love they deserve. Our family and life obligations have grown substantially this past year and our ability to care for the cats has diminished. We don't want to re-home them but would rather they spend their twilight years receiving the love they truly deserve than in the shadows of a baby and two dogs.

Cat 1: White & silver tabby mix. The life of the party, quite dog-like in some ways. Always looking for attention and wanting to be involved with whatever's going on. A big, friendly, hilarious personality.

Cat 2: Black and white tuxedo cat. Not exactly sure of the breed. The more reserved member of the duo, he is extremely affectionate and friendly but not one for crowds. A classic cat – keeps to himself, receives love on his own terms.

These cats came with us from America six years ago and have been with us since kittens. It's heartbreaking to be writing this post.

Let me know if you have any questions at all. Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_6522.gif
IMG_6522.gif (180.87 KiB) Viewed 2495 times
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Two cats looking for the love they deserve (London)

Post by Crewella »

It won't be easy to home two older cats, I suggest that you contact every rescue in your area, most (if not all) will be full to overflowing, but some will have a waiting list. Your best bet is to try to find homes through family and friends. What part of London are you in?
pwfc
New Cat Chatter

Post by pwfc »

Thanks for the response. We've asked practically everyone we know and no leads. I can't stomache tye final chapter of their lives beginning (and potentially ending) in a shelter.

We're in north London but have a car and willing to travel to the right home.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Keep trying, or maybe rethink - as cats get older they do get less and less demanding but do find it harder to adjust to a completely new environment (I volunteer for a rescue and tend to adopt oldies myself, but I'm over my limit at 7!). Even if it's not ideal, they would be much better off staying with you if you can manage it.

If you're really stuck, we are Marjorie Nash Cat Rescue, based around Amersham. We never give up on a cat, except for valid health reasons, but do have a long waiting list.
pwfc
New Cat Chatter

Post by pwfc »

Thank you for your insights and understanding.
LadyJ
New Cat Chatter

Post by LadyJ »

I would love to re-home them both but can have only one! I look for older cat to adopt, the one that likes cuddles and attention, I live in nice home with garden, outside London
MM2015
New Cat Chatter

Post by MM2015 »

I think it is incredibly sad you are even considering rehoming these cats - especially in their twilight years. They did not choose to have children, or dogs, you made those choices for them. Honour them now by reconsidering just how much time you need to attribute to their lives....I know for a fact our four cats need very little actual time. An odd stroke here, 5 minutes play there, for the rest of the time they share our house and are pretty much invisible. They have each other for company and are well fed, well cared for, but most of all, considered.

As I have read recently - you may think you are considering their needs because you 'cannot give them the time and attention they need' but really, their needs are security, safety, feeding, a roof over their heads and veterinary care when needed. That's it. Please reconsider.

A useful resource from a rescue page:
Be honest with yourself and your family: are you certain that you can't keep your cat? We speak to people every day who have to give up a cat. The truth is that in the vast majority of cases, it only requires some additional effort, organization and care to enable keep their cat.

As you search your heart, remember that your cat is a living being and that you made a commitment to love and care for him for his lifetime. Consider how your family and your pet will be affected by the change. As your family has grown to love your cat, your cat has developed a bond with your family. If you surrender your cat to a shelter, there is a chance that the cat will be euthanised. Your pet has the best chance of continuing to lead a happy, healthy life by staying with you.