Looking to rehome my old lady - Nottingham

Rescue Shelters - post details of cats needing homes here (NB: PLEASE put your Location in the Subject line)
If you need to rehome your own cat, please click "Find your local Cat Rescue Shelters" below...
Allyburton
New Cat Chatter

Looking to rehome my old lady - Nottingham

Post by Allyburton »

Hey,

I have come on here for a little advice and guidance on what my options are. I have the loveliest lady cat and I have had her for nearly 12 years. According to our vet she is in really good health for her age but sadly we have to look for a new home for her.

It devastates me to come to this decision but because she is an old lady she is very set in her ways and recently despite being treated for cystitis she has started to pee and poo a little on the floor around her litter tray. She has always been a house cat as she is deaf so we have never let her out. The reason we have to find a new home for her is because we have a very active two year old and are expecting our second baby soon and we can't keep on top of the care she needs to be comfortable and also being unable to open the windows is difficult when the house needs airing for the children.

We face a tough task as we don't just want to give her to a shelter when she has always had a homely life and we feel it would be irresponsible to give her to a new home without being completely honest about her care needs but this puts a lot of people off. It has been suggested that we have her put down but she is in good health and it just seems so cruel to take that step!

Can anyone help as to what we can do? Is anyone willing to rehome a little old lady or are there any home from home sanctuary that she could live out her last days at - I just don't know what to do!!

Any advice would be hugely welcomed!!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Looking to rehome my old lady - Nottingham

Post by Crewella »

If Bedford is not too far away, have a look in the 'Homes Offered' section as someone is looking for an older or disabled female cat to live indoors.
GillianH
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by GillianH »

What a shame that you have to rehome your girl, especially after you have had her for so long.

I do hope that you can find her a suitable new home, possibly the one in Bedford that Crewella has found :)
GillianH
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by GillianH »

Well having looked at the post in the Homes Offered thread I see you have already posted :)
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mrs Kane »

I will talk to my uncle who lives in the Sherwood area. He's currently under a lot of stress with my grandma at the moment and her severe dementia but he may consider taking your cat in because he's taken in older and disabled cats and dogs before.

I'll let you know what he says.