Lethargic Kitty- Advice Needed

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
MichelleM
New Cat Chatter

Lethargic Kitty- Advice Needed

Post by MichelleM »

Hi hoping someone may be able to offer some advice please. I'm cat sitting for my in laws and I've come in to feed her this evening and she's not her normal self. Not eaten any of her food since yesterday evening (always eats at least 2 pouches and a bowl of biscuits) and she's not really interested in anything and wants to sleep. Is purring when stroked but not interested in her toys or moving around which I just not like her at all. She's not too keen on jumping up or down either, she's 2 and is normally very active! She's an outdoor cat so it's hard to know if she's been sick or had diarrhoea, we've locked the cat flap now and brought the litter tray out but she's not been to the toilet as yet and it's been a couple of hours. I've timed her breathing and she takes about 65 per minute but doesn't appear to be struggling to breath and is breathing through her nose not mouth. Not sure if I should take her to the emergency vet or monitor her for a bit longer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Last edited by MichelleM on Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Lethargic Kitty- Advice Needed

Post by Lilith »

Hi there and welcome.

I think your best course would be to ring the vet and ask their advice, whether to take her in or not.

So sorry to hear she's not herself - please let us know how you go on and good luck.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. I agree with Lilith and and would give the vet a ring just to check. It’s difficult when you’re in charge of someone else’s cat so best not to leave it in case she needs to see a vet. Do let us know how she gets on.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I agree, she needs to be seen by the vet, and I suspect if you ring the emergency number they will ask you to take her in. She does sound very poorly, and it needs checking out.