Rust Colored Brown Spots on the top tips of my cat's fur?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
derpymcturdy
New Cat Chatter

Rust Colored Brown Spots on the top tips of my cat's fur?

Post by derpymcturdy »

Hello everyone!
Here are some photos of my cat's Brown spots >
Anyone seen this before?
My cat is only 1.5 years old, always been in-doors, and always fed a 100% Blue Buffalo Wet Food and Blue Buffalo Dry Food diet since approximately 2 months old (we got her from a local breeder).
My cat has never had any health problems and is spayed.
The brown spots seem to be only on the tips of my cat's fur, i've checked each spot and it definitely doesn't go down to her skin at all.
I don't think I dropped anything onto her like food or paint or anything obvious like that, so I don't understand how this is happenning.
In total, there are like 5 or 6 spots on her that have only started like maybe 1 month ago.
Does it matter that her yearly checkup is almost 3 months overdue right now?
Thanks everyone!
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Rust Colored Brown Spots on the top tips of my cat's fur?

Post by meriad »

how often do you brush your cat? Just wonder if it's dead / dry fur that can be brushed out. In the bottom photo the fur looks quite tufty which from my experience with one of my cats is clumps of fur that brush off?

It is a bit odd though and I've never seen the change of colour before so given the check up is overdue I'd be tempted to get him to the vet for a general check over - esp 3 months is quite a delay for annual boosters
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi there, is there any chance she could have come into contact with cigarette ash or a naked flame? I once had a cat who liked to warm his bottom against the gas fire but on this occasion he forgot about his tail and stuck it through the guard :shock: Mercifully he wasn't hurt, just rather surprised when I beat out the flames - gas fires ought to have secondary guards. (Smacks own wrist.) But cats will put themselves into awkward positions no matter how you try to think ahead for them I know. Is there any chance she's got under the feet of someone smoking a cigarette and been accidentally sprinkled with hot ash? Luckily, if the fur is singed, it seems very superficial. As Meriad says, I'd try brushing and seeing if the brown tips come away with the brush.

Please let us know if you find out what it is.
rmayers

Post by rmayers »

Ohh, this is a really bad thing! You should definitely visit a vet because of it. Agree with you guys, it is really important not to smoke near your cat or dag. I had this trouble year ago. I was vaping near my cat, thought is was okay. But then I have found an great article about it on Vapingdaily and stoped immidiately.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

If it's singe marks those hairs will feel crinkly and smell burnt, so that's easy to check.

Blue is a dilute black, and black fur can turn brown in the sun, it's quite normal at a later age. Discoloration can also happen with some underlying health conditions involving Tyrosine metabolism, so I would recommend a health check. I don't know if this can affect just the tips of hairs or if it would start from the root.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

This thread is over 2 years old - I hope the OP found a solution long ago!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

fjm wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:19 pm This thread is over 2 years old - I hope the OP found a solution long ago!
Ha I didn't 'spot' that but still useful for anyone else having this issue!