Strange food behaviour

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
FlumpandNesquik
New Cat Chatter

Strange food behaviour

Post by FlumpandNesquik »

Hi everyone,

One of my cats (8yrs old, female, spayed, just a bog standard tortie) went off her food a few weeks ago, she meowed constantly but wouldn't touch her food ( royal canin dry food ) I noticed she ate a bit when I'd go to sleep.
She started losing weight so I tried her with tuna and she cleaned the bowl.
Since then she has been on a mix of royal canin dry food and purine wet pouches and has eaten hers and bullied my other cat for hers too, over eating and being sick. This stopped after a few days and she eats just her own mostly now.
After about a week I noticed her eating around the biscuits and even pulling the biscuits out and leaving them on the floor and just eating the meat.
She was sick yesterday first time in a week, I'm assuming she over did it and had some of flumps food.
Her behaviour other than food is normal, bright eyed alert etc.
But my gosh she is alot more vocal than normal it's driving me crazy.
She has everything and more.
She won't go outside so she's a house cat.
Any one have any similar experiences or advice?
Thanks
Kim
catsgalore
New Cat Chatter

Re: Strange food behaviour

Post by catsgalore »

It could be her teeth, but as this has gone on for a long time and has been losing weight, a vet visit is needed. Being increasingly vocal and some of her other behaviour sounds like anxiety, but she really needs a vet check up. There could be teeth or other medical issues.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Strange food behaviour

Post by lilynmitz »

I agree, this sounds like it could be her teeth, but either way I would get her to a vet. If her eating problems are making her lose weight, this needs looking into.