Cookie and I need your help (ear mites issues)

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
yell
Returning Cat Chatter

Cookie and I need your help (ear mites issues)

Post by yell »

Dear fellow cat lovers, Cookie (my just under 11mo indoor kitten) and I need your help.

Cookie has shown what would seem like ear mite symptoms – dark brown ear wax, no odor though, scratching and so subsequent little wounds because of scratching. Given that last time Cookie had similar (much milder) symptoms, the vets suggested I came over for a check and it turned out her ears were just a little dirty. This caused me cashing out £50 for a 2 minute visit. Because of this, I decided to give us a chance to fight this potential issue on our own for a few days before we turn to the vet on Saturday (in 2 days). I bought Johnsons ear drops and have applied them last night and this morning. I found that Cookie was especially uneasy during this morning’s application and even had a bit of drooling. I have read a lot online and have not seen anything negative about the Johnsons ear drops but I have come across substances such as pyrethrin and naturally got a little paranoid but I usually do even when googling human symptoms.

Anyhow, I would like to know whether you think this is the right approach and if it is possible to see visible improvements (IF it’s ear mites) in the first few days. Also, have you used or heard of Johnsons and would you recommend this or other ear drops as an initial step? How actually invasive is this for cats?

Finally, I am fully aware that going to the vets should be the first step but I would still appreciate your advice as per above. Cookie is in a very good health and a little spoiled fluff ball and I would not do the ‘home remedying’ for longer than a few days and risk her health in any way.

I look forward to your advice and am thankful in advance.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Cookie and I need your help (ear mites issues)

Post by bobbys girl »

We have had this problem with Willow. She does seem prone to mites.I wouldn't use the Johnson's stuff, but your vet should be able to give you medicated drops and an ear wash toget rid of any gunk.

I've just had a rummage in the pet cupboard. The drops are 'Surolan' (and I need to get some more!) You will need a perscription from the vet. But it will be cheaper than a consultation and as you've already seen him about the same problem, there should be no problem getting the perscription.
yell
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by yell »

Thank you bobbys girl, I really appreciate your help. Do you think our vet would provide prescription without consultation? They would usually insist to check her first before they prescribe as far as I know (the last consultation I mentioned in my original post was a while back so i guess this would be considered void in this case?).

Thanks again!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Another thing is to find a flea treatment that also controls mites and use that on a monthly basis. I use Stronghold on my cats because Abbie is prone to ear mites and it seems to work OK.

Which does remind me that I need to give her ears a good clean tonight - it's overdue.

But the Surolon in addition to the Stronghold should hopefully work
yell
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by yell »

Thank you for the advice Meriad. Do you think I could get a prescription for Surolon and/or Stronghold without consultation or is consultation necessary?

I've been using broadline for ticks and fleas but it is true that it doesn't cover mites so it might be good time to switch.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Yell over here vets won't issue scripts without seeing patient - like us gaping to the Drs.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I think if you know your vets (and they know you) it is easier to get 'repeat' perscriptions without consultations.
yell
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by yell »

Yes, that all makes sense. I guess my best bet is to go to the vet tomorrow (sigh) and get the prescription for both mite treatment as well as the all-in-one monthly treatment that is not broadline (we are too new to the vet for repeat prescriptions but I we will get there). I didn't give Cookie any Johnsons drops today as I see there is no point to torture her as it is not going to work miraculously in one day. Thank you all again
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

It may make sense to take Cookie anyway so they confirm it's a mite issue and not something else. And whilst there they can give the ears a good clean and then Cookie will think of them as the badie and not you :D :D See method in the madness
yell
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by yell »

Sounds like a wise plan! :) Got us booked for tomorrow morning. She behaves much better at vets anyway then when I try to do anything to her... right spoiled brat she is at home and a little fluffy princess in public! :lol: