Advice for me and Tommy please.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Christopher13
Returning Cat Chatter

Advice for me and Tommy please.

Post by Christopher13 »

Tommy, my rescued cat usually uses His litter tray without problem. However over the past month or two he's begun to occasionally pee in a secluded corner behind the TV. He knows he shouldn't do it there because when I see Him in that area, and see him beginning to (assume the position) he knows he's guilty and will then run to his litter box. The problem is that I cant be there all the time. That part of the room is beginning to smell. Your advice would be welcomed. Chris.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Advice for me and Tommy please.

Post by MarySkater »

Is it possible to position a litter tray in the corner he has chosen? Is his own litter tray open or covered? If he's looking for a secluded corner, maybe he'd prefer a covered tray (but don't fit the door that they usually come with - most cats don't like those). I prefer covered ones because you get less litter "excavated" on to the floor.

When you're trying to clean up the corner he has been using, don't use bleach or anything with ammonia, because cats can take the smell of those as a "do it here" signal. There are various suggestions on the board about removing the smell of urine. Biological washing powder gets recommended, or there are dedicated products for the task.

It does sound like there is something about his present tray, or about where you have it, that he doesn't like. Or it could be the actual litter - some cats have preferences. Do you have any other cats, or is it just him in the house? That can also make a difference.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Advice for me and Tommy please.

Post by Janey »

The fact that Tommy always used litter tray before ok, suggests something has probably changed. Be that health, litter or stress related. This link has lots of useful information which may help:

https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-t ... ay-indoors

I hope you manage to sort it soon.