My older cat has started growling at kitten .

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Nettykitty
New Cat Chatter

My older cat has started growling at kitten .

Post by Nettykitty »

Hello everyone ,
I always had two cats but last August my female cat kitty had a stroke . I was devastated but my other cat Tom really missed her . We left it a few months and got Ethel ( ragdoll ) for company . I took two weeks off and kept Ethel in separate room did everything but the book . Everything went well Tom washed her let her sleep near him . When we are not home or are in bed we keep them separate . Tom is 14 so trying to give him space too .
We've had Ethel since October had her spayed .
He has always pinned her down occasionally never hurts her . But recently he growls at her all the time . If she walks past or enters the room . Doesn't hurt her just a p off growl .
I did find a cut under his chin so I think she had hurt him .
They are both indoor only loads of toys , beds , climbing trees .
He will eat in the same room as her pushes her out of the way if he wants to try her food !
And they wee in each other's trays . I have 3 on the go !
I just don't know what to do ? What do I do when he growls at her ? Ignore him or say something
I love them both so much . The crazy thing is when I put her in her room of a night he can't wait to get in there in the morning . Then growl as he walks past !!
He's also just started liquid med for hyperthyroidism ...
but generally a beautiful loving boy and spends his night snuggled in the bed with me purring .
So sorry for this really long post
Desperate mummy
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: My older cat has started growling at kitten .

Post by Lilith »

Hi there and welcome :)

Yes, it does sound as if Ethel's walloped Tom and is NOT flavour of the month at the moment, but if you see any swelling/redness at the site of the scratch/bite it might be as well to get him checked out by the vet just in case he's nursing an abscess.

However, cat relationships (like human ones) can have their ups and downs and even the friendliest cats can have a tiff before becoming best of friends again.

I once had a gigantic three-quarter Siamese boy who growled at kittens. (I bred Siamese in those days.) Like Tom, he didn't offer to hurt them, it was just an 'I'm boss round here, young'un and don't you forget it' sort of growl. To be honest I didn't do anything about the growling, just ignored it.

One day I snuck up on him and a kitten on the stairs. George (the big lad) didn't realise I was there. He glanced round shiftily as if to make sure they were alone - and then he WASHED the kitten. Then he realised I was watching. 'Growl!' he thundered and stalked off. Real Men didn't wash kittens!

Oh but they do, they do ... :lol:

I do hope Tom and Ethel get back to their old footing; it sounds like a minor blip to me, but I agree the first time round something like this happens is worrying - hope all is ok soon :)
Nettykitty
New Cat Chatter

Post by Nettykitty »

Thank you so much for replying .
I emailed a cat behaviourist for advice but she said I needed a home visit between 390 -645 pounds ..
I would spend my last penny on them but wanted to see if anyone could offer reassurance .
My husband says he's worse when I'm home !
He's chin has cleared up well but he's at vets this week for more blood tests for the hyperthyroidism so he will get another check up then

Thank you again.
Hopefully they will make friends again soon .
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

For advice from a behaviourist you could try emailing this one, without any cost at all.......

[email protected]
Nettykitty
New Cat Chatter

Post by Nettykitty »

Thank you Alice I've sent them an email .
Fingers crossed x