My cat will not stop meowing

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
SarahToin1
New Cat Chatter

My cat will not stop meowing

Post by SarahToin1 »

Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone would be able to give me a bit of advice!

I have two Ragdoll cats, Leo (aged 5) and Oliver (aged 3). They are indoor cats but they do have a run that they can go outside in.

For the past few months Oliver has gotten into the habit of meowing constantly first thing in a morning, I'm talking 5am here!! He will do this non stop around the house for at least an hour and no matter what I do he does not stop. I've tried feeding him, he will eat the food and then start meowing again. I've tried putting him in his run, which he hates going outside so this just seems to scare him! I've tried playing with him and he isn't interested. He will go in his litter tray and then carry on meowing again. He was neutered 2 years ago so he can't be wanting to find lady cats, surely??

I just don't know what I can do because it wakes me and my husband up at 5am and we can't go back to sleep because it goes on for an hour. We only have thin walls and I am worried that the neighbours are going to complain because he is really loud.

Any advice would be appreciated!!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: My cat will not stop meowing

Post by Crewella »

This is one of the few problems I don't seem to have had, but I know that several people on here have had similar issues. The advice does always seem to be to ignore it, I'm afraid - if you get up and react, in any way, you are teaching him that his meowing will be rewarded by your attention. He is, in fact, training you! ;)

Hopefully others will have some advice too, good luck! :)