Cat tail missing fur on tip

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Lain
New Cat Chatter

Cat tail missing fur on tip

Post by Lain »

She lost hair right below the tip of her tail, and the skin became flakey and dry. We took her to the vet recently but he couldn't figure out what was wrong. He prescribed antibiotics and told us to rub a light amount of coconut oil on it, however the skin has recently turned dark.

Here is a picture of her tail:
https://i.imgur.com/CLrf95N.jpg
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat tail missing fur on tip

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome.

I'm sorry to read about your cat's injury; to me that tailtip looks necrotic; the nerves and tissues may have been injured and died and it would be best to take her back to the vet who may recommend amputation of the affected part; she has every chance of living the rest of her life bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, however.

All the very very best; please let us know how she goes on.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree with Lilith and would speak to the vet again. Always best to check - good luck.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Antonio »

Hi Lain, I agree with the two replies above.
Have you checked if your cat sense anything on her tail tip? Does she feels you touching it?
If not then it's a dead tip following a trauma or an incident. It's better to remove it before the rest of the tail gets necrotic too.