Foster cat with issues

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Gothgranny
Frequent Cat Chatter

Foster cat with issues

Post by Gothgranny »

Hi, I'm fostering a cat who's been through a horrible experience - her owner killed himself in front of her and she was stuck in the room with the body for 24 hours or more. Then she was roughly grabbed and taken to the vets after the body was found. She's been in a cage at her vets for about a week, then taken to me yesterday pm. She's basically a nervous wreck, hissing/spitting/growling constantly, not eating much, but using the litter tray ok. Unable to get near her without being scratched. She's in my spare room, which is nice and quiet, and lives under the sofa, only coming out when I'm not about. Feliway is on. Would appreciate any suggestions how I can speed up her recovery in order for her to be rehomed quickly, if anyone's been through something similar? Thanks.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Foster cat with issues

Post by Lilith »

Poor little girl.

I've never had to do with a cat as traumatised as this but I have had a few 'wildies' and found that the remedies are patience and time. A LOT of time. A case of love them and leave them alone. But having said that, they can surprise you.

All the very very best with her x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I would certainly give her a few days peace and quiet to allow her to settle in to a new environment after such a dreadful experience. Then perhaps start by just spending time in the room with her, but not actually trying to make contact in any way, so she can see you're not a threat. I've had several traumatised cats, for verious reasons, and you just can't rush it. Bless you for taking care of her. :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Poor thing. I'd just spend time in there doing something quiet like reading and ignoring her initially. Putting a radio on might help. Unfortunately the best thing in situations like this is time.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I agree, you can't "speed up" this process. Give her some peace and quiet for a few days so she realises she's safe, and spend time just quietly sitting with her. My current two had "baggage" when they came to me (a few months apart), so I let them hide under the bed as much as they wanted to, but I spent quite a lot of time lying on the floor quietly talking to them, or extending my hand slowly so they could sniff my fingers, and eventually let me give them a little stroke. After a few days Elsie suddenly decided I was probably ok and came out from under the bed, but it was two weeks before she stopped sleeping under there, and a month or so before she would sleep when we were in the same room - she was always on the alert. Zig came round more quickly, as his curiosity got the better of him and he wanted to explore, but he is still terrified of almost everyone but us, so most visitors think we only have one cat!

Make sure she always has access to her "safe room" if she feels the need to retreat at any time. Gradually her confidence will return and she will learn to trust humans again, but you need to be the one who shows her she need not fear us. Just take it slowly and give her the time and space she needs.