Grieving Cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Jessmoll
New Cat Chatter

Grieving Cat

Post by Jessmoll »

We sadly had to have one (sisters and been together since birth) of our 15 year old cats put to sleep 4 weeks ago after a short illness. My remaining cat has I think been grieving, she went off her food for two weeks but slowly her appetite came back. She always went out before we lost our other cat but now doesn't go out all, she even uses the litter tray instead of going out which she never did in the passed. Occasionally she also makes a very deep loud meow normally only a very quite little meow. She does seem happier in herself buts hates us going out and leaving her on her own. Is this normal and any advice out there.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Grieving Cat

Post by meriad »

I am so sorry :(

Not sure I can give much advise; I had two cats Molly and Chloe (also sisters together since birth) that I adoped when they were 8. Chloe sadly developed cancer and had to say good bye to her when she was 13 and shortly after Molly became quite vocal and very clingy. I thought she was really missing her sister / feline company so adopted a pair of 5 month old kittens. They'd have each other to play with but were also around to keep Molly company. Once they arrived Molly went back to the quiet cat I knew.

In hindsight now, I think Molly actually finally had a chance to be top cat and was actually quite enjoying have undivided attention; and then along come these two pesky kittens ;) . I was lucky that it really worked out very well and the three of them got on perfectly fine but looking back I think maybe Molly would have actually been quite OK as a single cat that had lots of fusses and attention from me. I lost Molly a few years back when she was 21

Cats can grieve yes, and I'm sure they do miss their feline companion so for now give her as much attention as you can and let her be with you as much as she can. As for the litter box and going out bit - how well did the two get on; were they often curled up together or more apart. Litterbox wise, depending on how many you have / had chances may be that the litter box was used by the other cat so the cat still with you wouldn't / couldn't share so had to go outside? Going out - maybe now she's OK being indoors all the time? So many things it could have been.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Grieving Cat

Post by alanc »

Sorry to hear of your loss. When I lost my Badger cat some 18 months ago after a short illness, my Tilly certainly appeared to grieve for him. Although not siblings, they had been reared together from weaning. Tilly was noticeably depressed for 3-4 months, although how much this was due to her own sense of loss for her big goofy companion of 5 and a half years, her reaction to my depression over the affair or her reaction to the indignity of being hauled off to the vets to give Badger blood when she came in expecting dinner, I don't know. Probably all three. Tilly seams to have got over it and is now as cheerful as ever. Having observed Tilly's behavior, I have not attempted to replace Badger as I think she is quite content as an only cat. If she needs feline company, there is always next doors pair - Tay in particular frequently comes visiting.