Loss of Oscar's "sofa spot"

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
alli
Frequent Cat Chatter

Loss of Oscar's "sofa spot"

Post by alli »

One of my cats, Oscar, is white and tabby and is around 8yo. I adopted him and his brother from the DSPCA here in Dublin. Oscar's spot has always been at one end of the sofa in the living room. Because the sofa is a burgundy colour his hairs showed up everywhere. I had to comb them to loosen them enough to vacuum them away every week!!! Eventually I put a throw over the thing which I could just wash. That was five months ago - Oscar hasn't come near the sofa, near me if I'm sitting on it and even after I caved and removed the throw a month ago he still won't go near it. He now spends ALL his time on the bed. I feel so TERRIBLE about the whole thing - is there ANYTHING I can do to entice him back. I miss him being beside me. Alli
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Loss of Oscar's "sofa spot"

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

Sorry, but the first comment that springs to mind is - oh dear, is this driving Oscar wild? :oops:

This is cats for you. It happened to me recently; I put a beautiful soft clean thick towel on someone's favourite chair, thinking she'd love it, and will she go near that chair now? No. And as for the saga of little Molly and the new duck feather duvet, don't get me started ... (it was crunchy, she said, and she didn't trust it for weeks.)

Any changes, or if they change their minds, it's writ in stone.

I suppose, if Oscar has any favourite treats or titbits, you could try tempting him back to his spot with those?

I understand how you feel, it must be awful there without him.

Give my regards to Oscar, and also to Dublin, by the way; some of my family came from there :D and all the best, I do hope he changes his mind.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. Cats like their routine and don’t like it changing lol. I’ve found this over the years when I’ve had to wash their beds and they wouldn’t get in them again when the smell is different, usually I’ve managed to get them back in by rubbing their scent from their face, or something on the bed or placing them in. Sometimes they will find another favourite spot though and decide to stay there, which sounds like what your cat has done. I have to say though cats do tend to like beds, apart from the comfort I think they like to go away to a quiet place through the day. Our cat sleeps with us at night, but this will vary, at the bottom of the bed on a mat (preferable for us :lol: ) or at the side or between us (usually if I’ve changed the mat to wash it). Hopefully your cat will decide to join you again on the sofa.
alli
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by alli »

Hi Lilith (very funny hahaha) :lol: and Janey. Thanks so much for your responses. I also hope he gets back to the sofa soon - it's just that his bro and I are watching TV in one room and Oscar's on his lonesome in the bedroom albeit with the electric blanket I might add. The other week Felix (the bro) had the cheek to come and lie on Oscar's spot just for a cuddle :evil: :roll: - I wanted to pick him up and throw him back on his own sofa; the worst of it was Oscar was there watching it all!!
I bought catnip biscuits but neither would touch them - catnip IS supposed to attract them isn't it??
Thanks again both of you - will repost if a miracle happens :D
Alli
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Aww maybe Felix has told him he wants that sofa spot or a while or Oscar offered it :lol: bless him. Watching the ferals we look after, they take turns at sleeping in huts and keeping night watch lol. Either way it sounds like Oscar is happy on the bed for now, maybe when he sees Felix getting the cuddles he will decide to join you again for a while, that’s sometimes the case!
alli
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by alli »

;) ;) I do hope so!!
alli
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by alli »

OSCAR's back in his spot, OSCAR's back in his spot. I'm SO happy I DIDN'T destroy his life forever !!!!!!!
alli
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

YAAAAAY!!!!!!! :D :D :D :lol: