New user worried about my cat Tiddles

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Kim mills
Frequent Cat Chatter

New user worried about my cat Tiddles

Post by Kim mills »

I have a 10 ish old female black and white cat Tiddles I'm worried about her she sometimes goes off her food I try to change it around a bit it seems linked with seeing different lg probably toms hanging around she has been done she gets scared and spooked she gets lots of reassuring loves cuddling this normally settles her in a few days this happened a few days later I found a birds wing and feathers she ate the rest everything ok drinking more started eating less in last few days not moving around much she normally climbs are 6ft fence today not ate hardly moving at all can stroke her all over doesn't move away mouth does not seem sore have check her skin for sagging as suggested on other posts will try to contact a vet tomorrow she looks so sad not coming on my nee which she loves can anyone help in meantime as it may take a few days before get appointed
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: New user worried about my cat Tiddles

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

Sorry to hear your girl's not well; you're very wise to contact the vet but although there may be nothing serious, she doesn't sound herself, and if you can possibly press for an urgent appointment, I would.

However, if she's catching and scoffing wildlife, it could just be that she's gorged herself on fresh bird, rodent or rabbit and, like the big cats, is 'lying up' with a full belly, digesting, and with no further appetite or interest in roaming at the moment. I do hope this is the case. Some cats can be very primitive in this way, but the vet appointment is definitely a good idea, if only to rule out any nasties and put your mind at rest.

All the very best with her and please let us know how she goes on :)
Kim mills
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Kim mills »

Tiddles went to vet had blood test has had two nights at vet on fluids her bun 24.7 now 9
Crea 233 now 9 her thyroid came back ok
She's on prescription diet hills k/d and 2.5mg benazepril hydrochloride need to have her checked in a month vet did say was some tooth decay and asked to do while she was in but thought she'd been through enough at this stage just got to try and get tablet down her vet said manageable if this happeneds good prognosis she brighter more alert happier
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Fingers crossed - hopefully her kidney values were acute due to eating a bird and that she is fine. I find Hills the least palatable renal diet, there are lots of options on here if she doesn't like it
TheCatsMum
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by TheCatsMum »

Some cats won't eat a renal diet. If she goes off or won't eat Hills, look online and order 2/3 different options - wet if possible since cats with kidney disease can easily become dehydrated. Also, put extra water bowls around. If she won't take the tablets, phone the vet - a good vet will be able to offer other options. If you can stabilise her and the vet is happy to do it, get the dental done as teeth problems can exacerbate kidneys issues. Kidney problems can be stabilised, but if you noticed any changes get your little one checked out straight away and do make sure you take her back to be checked in a month.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Ironically renal dry is more palatable, as long as they drink plenty just changing that can help
Kim mills
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Kim mills »

Thanks for comments she's not really liking the hills only got chicken had to mix a little of her old food to con her to get the tablet down think maybe a few biscuits she likes the crunch will need to look at different makes and flavours
TheCatsMum
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by TheCatsMum »

We tried all wet flavours of Royal Canin renal for my boy, Royal Canin dry and ProPlan chicken. He'd lost interest in dry the last few months of his life anyway so my surprises he didn't like that (his sister did who didn't need it!) and out of the wet ones he was more likely to eat the Royal Canin beef and Proplan chicken. His sister again ended up eating some and I'd say these were her preferences as well.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Buster's favourite was RC Tuna
Kim mills
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Kim mills »

Thanks for suggestions will be looking for these
Kim mills
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Kim mills »

Update on Tiddles everything was going great been trying different food but last few days not eating again nothing even tryed steak which she loves we had to hold her mouth to get tablet down was not even taking when wrapped in ham not moving around having to take water to her last few days she caught 2 birds or at least found the feathers left over nothing i put down interests her have her booked at vets Monday her nose is getting dry quite worried as away in a weeks time my poor neighbor will be looking after her.Starting to think this is the end as vet said after hydrating her if she has the tablets and food good outcome, don't want her to suffer I have been told they pick up or go downhill quickly.In bits at the thought of this but should we call it a day hate to think she is struggling and prolong the end just because I cant make the call. Need some help guys.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

So she's refused to eat but is still catching (and presumably eating) birds. Have you tried her with a raw chicken wing in case this is what her system craves? My personal view is that it does sound like there's life in the old cat yet, bless her, but I'm not surprised you're worried.

I feel there are several points here:-

Will your neighbour be able/have the time to nurse her as you're doing? It won't be the usual matter of dropping in to put down a bowl of food/do tray.

Is there any way you could cancel/postpone the holiday?

Could you have a frank talk with your vet re prognosis; I feel you need some professional advice here. A vet should take time to advise you honestly.

I do hope you find a solution -all the very best with her :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Fingers crossed for her - are you just offering renal food? I would find a different meat to wrap her tablet in, ham isbt good with dodgy kidneys
Kim mills
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Kim mills »

Thanks everyone for your wishes and yes I have other meats when this stopped I gave her a favourite,she is just sitting over her water can't watch this not looking good hubby will be frank with vet to do best for her
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

She sounds dehydrated; a saline-glucose solution can pick them up - 1 pint of water to 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp glucose, or honey or sugar, whatever you have; mix them with a little hot water to dissolve and top up with cold. If you have a syringe, great, if not, get a clean cloth, soak the end in solution, drip into her mouth, less threatening and messy than a spoon.

Sorry, I never spotted your post before.

Poor lass, all the very best with her x
Kim mills
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Kim mills »

Update on Tiddles she took turn for worst she was not moving drinking Sunday didn't want cuddles couldn't bare to see her like that Monday Tiddles pts heart broken but I did what was right for her hardest decision I've had to make. RIP Tiddles love you
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Oh no .. so very sorry to hear, hugs to you, you did the right thing by the sound of it, sleep tight Tiddles x
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Very sad to hear this. RIP Tiddles.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Aww, so sorry to hear that, RIP Tiddles