integrating new blind cat with other pet cats

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
yvonne
New Cat Chatter

integrating new blind cat with other pet cats

Post by yvonne »

Need guidance please! I have a new blind cat...had a few weeks, but just recently had all shots and ready to introduce to other 2 cats. Wilford is 1 yr and completely blind from birth. He was at my daughter's house, just recently lost his buddy (killed in road), and she was unable to bring inside. He was used to being around other stray cats there, so I thought he would be able to adjust. But when I brought Callie, our 4 yr old into the next room, and let them wander around and sniff each other out, it went horribly wrong. Callie hissed and ran to next room and vomited. WIlford hissed, spit, growled and went into full ninja cat attack mode, rolling around on floor. I immediately took Callie out and put Wilford back in his comfort zone room. For next 2 days, every time I came into his room and spoke, he began growling, hissing, and spitting upon hearing my voice. I think he thought I would have that new, strange cat with me to attack him. I got some Composure Pro at vet's and began giving him this. After 4 days, he has returned back to his normal self...finally. I hate to think I will always have to keep WIlford isolated. Any suggestions? Maybe letting WIlford smell of something with other 2 cats' scent? I really don't know what my next step should be. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: integrating new blind cat with other pet cats

Post by Ruth B »

While I haven't any experience of blind cats, I think following standard introductions rules would certainly help. A lot of scent swapping to start with, get all the cats used to the scent of the others. Then when they are happy about the scent of each other, try feeding them either side of a barrier such as the door, they will still be able to hear and smell each other, but will also have the food to act as a diversion. Finally when they will eat peacefully like that, try it with out the barrier in place.

Slow small steps is the way forward, I am sure that they will all slowly adapt to the presence of the others. Wilford has gone through a lot and while he knew the other stray cats I have no doubt that some other cats picked on him, while his other senses will compensate a lot for being blind it will hinder him in terms of reading body language, he has probably learnt to treat new cats as threats until proven otherwise.

Hopefully others will be along with more advice as well.
yvonne
New Cat Chatter

Re: integrating new blind cat with other pet cats

Post by yvonne »

Thank you, Ruth. I think I'll start taking other cats' scents in to Wilford. And his to my other 2. I have a feeling this will be a very long process!