4 Year Old Female Today Started Acting Weird lets Out Growls And Jolts Backwards

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
darkessence
Frequent Cat Chatter

4 Year Old Female Today Started Acting Weird lets Out Growls And Jolts Backwards

Post by darkessence »

Hello I made an account as I am very concerned about my female cat.

I have two cats male and female brother and sister.

Male has UTI issues.

My roomates have a 3rd cat that has been here about 4-6 months.

My female cat randomly today has had three sporadic moments when she would growl unordinarily and spazz/move backwards quickly and tumble over a bit. First time we were playing and she suddnely growled and spazzed backwards, then kept laying on one side and turning over on the other and backing up again slowly and stopped playing, seeming like she is very uncomfortable. Then she sleapt for a while. Then second she had just eaten and jumped on the bed, and then jolted backwards and let out an odd growl. Then it happend again just now a third time where she jolted backward and ended up stumbling over chair legs while letting out an odd growl. Then she put her head down and is now sleeping. Breatheing seems normal.

I am very concerned because my male has been havnig a lot of problems off and on with his UTI. My fiance left about 2.5months ago and Nala seemed to be not horribly upset over it, like Simba was. Nala doesnt really like the new kitten that much who also keeps using their two litterboxes.

I have noticed last week or so she will have a hard time finding a spot in the litterboxes. She would do circles in one box then move to second do circles there and back and forth until she finally would pee. Didnt seem to have issues with pee coming out.

Not sure about her using litterbox today as I was at work.

Please help, cannot lose my precious kitties.

Ill be taking her to vet tomorrow more than likely. :/

[EDIT] she normally hate sher belly being touched but i went to feel her belly to see if it would be hard from having pee in there and it didnt seem full but she didnt seem to care that i was rubbing it this time maybe it felt nice?
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: 4 Year Old Female Today Started Acting Weird lets Out Growls And Jolts Backwards

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. I’m not sure, I think you’re right in that I would also just pop her along and let your vet check her over. Do let us know how you get on.
TheCatsMum
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: 4 Year Old Female Today Started Acting Weird lets Out Growls And Jolts Backwards

Post by TheCatsMum »

I agree, I'd get her checked out by the vet as soon as possible.

For both of them, it might help if there's an extra litter tray. Also, not sure how often they are cleaned out but if you and your room mate could clean them 2-4 times a day that might help.
darkessence
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by darkessence »

I try to clean the box every morning, when i get home and at night before going to bed.

This morning she seemed okay, ate food again. Then sleapt on me for two hours, just now i gently moved her off me so i could get up to go to bathroom, and she jumped down and flopped on her back and rolled for a bi. THen got up and immidietly start backing up drunkly and did the odd yelping growl again.

So it seems like after naps it happens more frequently maybe.

Very concerning i made appointment today

Hopefully someone has had similar experiences

now she just went to closet to go to sleep and hide. she hasnt gone in here for a long time
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

It does sound a bit odd and glad you’ve got the appointment. It can be quieter on here at weekends, but hopefully your vet will be able to help. A good thing I’ve found is to video the cat with my phone when it does things only occasionally so that your vet can see exactly what happens. I’ve done that with mine when they’ve had coughs etc, but never coughed in the vet room! Best of luck, do let us know how you get on and fusses to her, what is she called btw?
darkessence
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by darkessence »

I took her to the vet.

Vet told me need xray.

Paid 300 that I dont really have.

Xray came back showing no issues.

I took her home and she tried to go into litterbox but her back feet could not seem to go over the box so she kept falling in getting upset and going into closet.

She finally was able to go pee and I got a video of her limping.

Showed vet he said he didnt think it was her paws and thinks its neurological which has me very concerned.

I gave her anti inflammatory steroid medicine and she seems ok is sleeping but will continue watching her and probably take for a blood test on monday.

Im not familiar with neurological issues but def worried.

Thank you for the advice I did take a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBXYVDBdPWQ
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

I presume the vet checked her paws? just thinking with the xray being ok and her limping?
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Did he show you the X Ray or give you any idea what the X Ray was looking for? Was it of the whole cat, the spine or just the legs. Did the vet do a thorough examination of her back, legs and paws. Sorry for all the questions, but a vet just saying she needs an X Ray with no real explanation doesn't seem particularly right to me.

A neurological issue is a problem with the nervous system which could be what the X Ray was looking for, if there was any sign that the back bones were trapping the main nerve, but again this should have been explained particularly if the X Ray showed the spinal cord to be running clear and no problems with the vertebrae. Else where in the body nerves can get trapped or knocked which gives a pins and needles sensation or can be particularly painful for a short time (like when you bang your funny bone), which could be the cause of her odd behaviour. If this is the case than the anti inflammatory medicine she has been given should help take the pressure off the nerve.

Hopefully everything will turn out fine for her and it will just be a short term problem. In the meantime, if she will let you, check her paws, legs and back well yourself, just to make sure there are no obvious tender spots, and I don't know what type of litter tray you use but it might be worth trying to get a shallow one for her if you normally use high sided ones, as it would make it easier for her to get in and out.
darkessence
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by darkessence »

Thank you for support!

The vet said he checked her paws and movement motion and didnt think it was her paws.

Xrays were taken of spine and thighs but no actual legs.

The dr did walk me through the xrays and i took photos and got a cd, just in case i was going to go for asecond opinion.

He said everything looked good other than that her kidney being a bit smaller than normal. He just told me to keep an eye on if she drinks and pees more than usual but it doesnt appear that she is.

She doesnt seem to be lifting her legs up or licking any of them as if she is nursing them, and the limp seems like it might be gone so far, which means maybe she was still groggy from the sedation.

The medicine seems to be helping her.

She sleapt a long time but is awake now ate used litter without problems and is walking around smelling me and her brother, i gave her a treat.

shes not going to hide in closet so must be feeling nicer.

Going to keep watching her all day tom and monday.

Maybe take her for blood tests, or do you guys think i should do it either way?
darkessence
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by darkessence »

Also,

she is laying on the bed cleaning herself but is spending awfully alot of time just licking her butthole and base of tail.

Seemingly more than usual.

He said he checked her anal gland and canal and everything seemed good, so not sure if this is a concern that she is l;iking there SO much. about 5 minutes of just licking butthole and base of tail near butthole, while laying on both sides
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome - very sorry to hear about your girl.

I'd say it's neurological too; I had a very elderly cat who was just like this. However, that was a long time ago and at your girl's young age, and with modern meds, it could well be that she can be stabilised - I do hope so.

Give her a love from me and please keep updating :)
darkessence
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by darkessence »

Thank you Lilith.

This morning after she woke up and had some food and after sleeping on me for a couple hours, I just saw her wobble into the closet, presumably from the litter box so its def still an issue :/

Will definitely go for blood work on monday.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Darkessence & as others have posted welcome to this forum. I can't offer anything re your girl but agree she needs to visit the vet again. Please keep us updated. Fusses to your girl. Vivian
darkessence
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by darkessence »

Thank you for kind words.

I am stressing out so bad right now.

Now my male cat had a uti issue again today too.

He went to the bathroom but only the tiniest drop came out and he strained for a whiel and did a painful meow.

His baldder doesnt feel too hard but he does yelp when i touch it.

I feel like I need to take him to emergency room asap but i literally have no money lfet after taking care of female..

I am so worried that he may not make it until tomorrow morning when i can take to regular vet which i should be able to afford.

What syould I do?

I called a couple emergency places they all said i need to take him somewher asap but all said that it cuold be up to 4000.....i have 140$ left and was gonna use that for the females blood tests tom.

I do get paid wed but itll only be another 600
darkessence
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by darkessence »

I should note that after straining to go he is now just laying on th e bed and seems comfortable. he was licking his genitals for a while but he doesnt seem in pain just laying there.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

It must be such a worry for you and sorry no one could give any advise, I can't it isn't something I have had to deal with. I will mention that one reason for no replies is that a lot of us are in the UK so in a rather different time zone.

I hope they are both still ok by the morning, and you can get them to your normal vet.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Darkessence can you make a payment agreement with your vet? Keep us posted. Also here in Australia we have an organisation "Vet Care" its like a credit card but not with the exhorbitant interest rates. They settle the account & you make arrangements to repay them. Vivian
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Vivian - what a good idea!

I watched the video, it might be neurological but I was wondering, has the vet checked all her leg joints?

Willow mis-timed a jump a while back and landed badly. For some time after she was a little wobbly on her legs when she got up from a snooze. I think she just strained herself. She's better now.

I hope you get to the bottom of this soon.
darkessence
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by darkessence »

Thank you all for words of encouragement.

Yeah her legs seem to be fine, vet did check for full motion. Shes not limping anymore except the one time in the morning yesterday.

Update:

Took a pause on figuring out whats wrong with female to take care of my male Simba.

Took him to a vet the vet felt his bladder and said it was soft ball sized and hard and needed to be put on catheter and hospitalized for 48 hours.

I wanted a 24 hr place so drove there and when we saw that dr she was about to tell me the same thing and he started peeing in front of both of us all over the place.

Very relived,got pain meds and meds to help with spasms and got to take him home.

Going to stop giving dry food in between wet food and try to get him to drink more water throughout the day somehow. Any thoughts?

He completely stopped using his cups and water fountain. I do mix water in his food though which he gulps up.

Got him home and he ate and is jkust cleaning himself, because i had to wipte him down with wipes since he was covered in pee.

He seems good and back to normal.

Havent seen any issues with lady but she will be the focus in a couple days again once I know male is urinating normally.

Thank you all will keep updated on him and female.
darkessence
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by darkessence »

Simba is doing great todeay is good about me administering meds even though they are liquids by drop.

Female hates her and fights me to the death each time lol btu i somehow manage to squeeze it in.

Havent noticed limping from her and she hasnt gone into closet again yesterday or today so far. knock on wood.

Simba is def peeing with much better ease, but will continue to monitor and update you guys over next several days.

I( switched them both to wet food c/d stress only.

THey seem to be hungrier more often maybe im not feeding them correct amounts.

The website says 6 cans per day o_O which seems excessive. Im going to be doing about 1.5-2 cans per cat as they are a bit overweight.

Thank you!!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Glad to hear that the limping seems to have stopped, fingers crossed and hopefully Simba will be ok now. I think the mugs and fountains are a great idea, it must be difficult to get them to drink more water if they don’t feel thirsty. I hope they both continue to do well though.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Glad to hear they both seem to be doing better and isn't it normal that with any type of liquid medication only half goes in the cat and the rest goes all over you.

I'm not sure what size tins you have, but I have to admit that 6 does seem a lot, or is that for both cats together. I had a quick look on line and on the Hills Website (I am assuming it is Hills, they are the ones that make the CD Urinary Stress Relief Cat food here) it says that a 4kg cat, which is about normal for a large adult cat should be having about 3 x 85g pouches a day, which is what I would expect. My three normally get 6 pouches of wet food between them each day and then have dried food available for whenever they want it.

Also remember that wet food has lot of water in it, a healthy cat can actually manage on wet food and virtually no water. Of course your's been unwell, particularly with bladder problems do need to be encouraged to drink, but if they are eating a lot of wet food then that will certainly be helping.
darkessence
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by darkessence »

Thank you Ruth and Janey.

Simba is 16 lbs and Nala is 14.5 lbs both are a bit overweight.

I called and figured out that they can use slightly cheaper food, the purina pro urinary wet food.

Im going to get some and start mixing it in with the other food to slowly weign it out.

So unfortunately my female cat, Nala, is still having issues :/ and i feel so bad that i cant just fix it for her.

Seems to be mostly after shes been idle for a while. She jumped down from the chair went to stretch on the floor by extending her front paws and that was fine did the same with the back ones and needed to topple over to the side.

Then she went potty and came out and had to lay her back half down for a few seconds.

I keep thinking that its her joints or paws that are bothering her, in the back.

Going to take her to another vet for a second opinion and show them the xrays and such.

May need to do MRI and blood tests :/