My cats pee in the corner of the living room- how can I stop them?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
hones93
New Cat Chatter

My cats pee in the corner of the living room- how can I stop them?

Post by hones93 »

I have recently noticed that my two 7 month old kittens have taken to peeing in the corner of the living room. They always have access to the litter box and still use it, and it is always cleaned and cleared regularly. I don't know why they do it, and they must have been doing it for a while because it smells awful and there's wee everywhere. I only noticed when I saw Percy (the boy) crouching in the corner behind the table. I picked him up, carried him to the litter tray and he used it. He also pooed on the floor next to the litter box for no reason. I've tried changing the cat litter more frequently and tried different brands (this one seems to be their favourite). They used to pee in the corner when we got them 4 months ago and I thought that they had stopped. Does anyone know why this is happening and why they're doing it? Is there any way I can prevent them from doing it?
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: My cats pee in the corner of the living room- how can I stop them?

Post by vanilla »

I suggest to clean the area thoroughly to get rid of the urine smell. You can buy pet urine cleaners online. Then put a litter tray there for them to use, then slowly move it closer to where you want it. Keep the other litter tray where it is incase they are fussed about using the same one. Good luck!
LittlePenBigHeart
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by LittlePenBigHeart »

Is the spot near a window or door at all? If so, they could be marking their territory. Otherwise, as Vanilla has said, the best approach is simply to make sure the urine smell is completely gone. Once a cat has marked a spot they'll often go back to it again and again, and other cats will follow suit.

The other possibility is that they don't like the litter you're using. Did you change it recently? If not, it might still be worth changing the litter to something a little finer, see if that helps.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi I had this issue when I bought Harper home @ 6 weeks - she used my walk-in-wardrobe! Yet she was using a tray at the clinic. Mentioned to vet nurse who told me to buy Urine Off & that it could be a behavioural issue. I used UO for 2 weeks incl covering the area with plastic garbage bags after spraying with UO. When I heard her on the bags I'd jump out of bed & take her to the tray. No issues now. Let' us know how you go. Vivian