My cats won't get along

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
smeloy
Returning Cat Chatter

My cats won't get along

Post by smeloy »

Hi
I've been advised to pop on here to see if anyone can help me. I had 2 cats 1 male 1 female. Both had been done. The male Tom died so eventually I introduced another cat. A 3 year old male who still has his tackle and I'm wondering if that could be the reason why they just won't get on. My female Pru hisses and spits really bad at him them he just attacks her but then she's more scared of him and hisses more the next time. This morning has been horrible. He's really had her. I don't want to get him done if that's not the problem and feel a little wrong removing bits off him after 3 years. Any advice will b appreciated. Thanks Sarah
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: My cats won't get along

Post by booktigger »

Being unneutered could explain the tension, and as bad as you may feel, neutering him is the best thing - he is at risk of certain cancers otherwise, and if he is indoor only, he will be incredibly frustrated, if he is allowed outside, he will be impregnating local cats and contributing to the overpopulation issue.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

toms which are neutered later in life often make particularly soppy loving lap cats

my Tosker was done when he was 2 and absolutely adores my Tiffany (who treats him with disdain, mostly, but he laps it up!!)
smeloy
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by smeloy »

Thank you. Yes he's indoors and he's a ragdoll so he is very calm and affectionate to us, he probably would be to Pru if she gave him half a chance. Maybe his frustration is causing him to retaliate.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

All I can add, is that if you aren't planning on using him as a stud then getting him neutered is the kindest thing and will probably solve a lot of the problem. We used to have a Ragdoll, he was adopted from a rescue, aged about 3 and already neutered, and you could not have asked for a more loving cat, he seemed to assume that everyone, human or feline would be his friend. This attitude meant that he would march straight up to the neighbourhood cats staring straight at them, most I think took this as the confidence of a cat that has never been beaten in a fight (he hadn't he had never got in one) and ran, he wouldn't have hurt a fly but he ruled the roost over the other cats. He also adored out then resident cat and so often we would find them curled up together on the bed.

Ragdolls do have wonderful temperaments and I think your problem comes down to one thing, testosterone.

The only other thing I can think of, if he is 3 years old and unneutered has he been used as a stud in the past. While this isn't something I have experience of, I have heard people say that if a cat has been used as a stud irresponsibly then they can seem to assume that every female cat is there for them to mate with regardless of whether the female is spayed or not and it is a learned response as it is what he was expected to do as quickly as possible to every female cat put in front of him. If you see any signs of this being the case then hopefully there is someone on here that could give more advise.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. I would definitely neuter, even if he’s staying indoors, one thing is he will get frustrated, there’s lots of info here:

https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-k ... euter-spay
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Kay wrote:toms which are neutered later in life often make particularly soppy loving lap cats

my Tosker was done when he was 2 and absolutely adores my Tiffany (who treats him with disdain, mostly, but he laps it up!!)
Our Tommy was around 8-9 years old when he moved in with us. He was quite hissy at first but a trip to the vets for an ear infection was a good opportunity to get him neutered at the same time.

He became the softest cuddly bunny around, yet still kept the peace with his gentle but firm presence. Best thing we could have done for him.
smeloy
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by smeloy »

Thank you so much for your advise. I did want to breed him but I don't think it's practical having Pru to think about. It's been awful over the past few days. How long is the recovery of the op? He was used for breeding and I hope if it is learnt response it's not engraved and having him will still effective. Hopefully he'll unlearn!
smeloy
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by smeloy »

Thank you so much for your advise. I did want to breed him but I don't think it's practical having Pru to think about. It's been awful over the past few days. How long is the recovery of the op? He was used for breeding and I hope if it is learnt response it's not engraved and having him will still effective. Hopefully he'll unlearn!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Males bounce back really quickly from being neutered, I've no advice on whether it will stop as he was used as a stud cat unfortunately.
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vanilla »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... -episode-3

Your cats may be stressed. The program above has some solutions you could try.

Separation of beds and food bowls seem to work best.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Smeloy I agree with the other experienced posters re: getting him neutered. Also it will reduce the smell of a tom's urine. Re being used as a stud, The president of Little Paws was given a Maine Coon who was used as a stud. He was in tact when he first arrived so was kept away from her other house cats. Chirpy's now neutered and no issues & has settled with all the house cats & the yard cats who are caged at night. Keep us posted. Vivian