Put elderly cat in cattery for 15 days?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Guinevere
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Put elderly cat in cattery for 15 days?

Post by Guinevere »

Hi

I have never put my cat in a cattery before as usually my neighbours would feed her. However, she is now 15 years old, diabetic (needs injecting daily) and I believe she has early signs of dementia as sometimes she seems to get "lost" in the house. It is a big responsibility for my neighbours to keep her safe while I'm gone and 15 days seems an awfully long time to leave her in the house alone. So, I have reserved her a place in a cattery which has an on-site veterinary nurse but am wondering if that would be even more stressful for her? I know she will think she is at the vet's initially and she hates other cats so I am anxious whether this would be a worse scenario for her, especially at night time when I presume all the cats are left alone. Does anyone have any advice they can offer me please (or reassurance that she will be okay at the cattery) as I really am unsure what to do for the best. Many thanks in advance.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Put elderly cat in cattery for 15 days?

Post by Kay »

the ideal, I suppose, would be someone you know and trust to live in whilst you are away, and who could do the injections, but that would be a tall order

but a good cattery would imo be the second best option, and she will probably hunker down after a couple of days and wait it out without a lot of stress

catteries rely on repeat business and so are usually very good at keeping their charges well and as happy as possible
Guinevere
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Guinevere »

Thank you Kay. You're right but I don't have anyone who can come and live in - except my friends who just got a puppy!!

I'm wondering if there are any services where she could go and live with somebody for a fortnight? She would settle quickly as she loves people and so long as she had her food, a bed and some cuddles then she'd be fine.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Antonio »

Over here where I live there are pet-sitting services where people can come to your home as many times a day as needed/required or live with your pets in your home.
In some cases they are young students, even in veterinary medicine, and I think this is the best option. Your cat wouldn't leave her home and stuff and would suffer your absence less, in my opinion.
When I'm on holiday I use this service for my cat(s) at home and I trust them 100%. Last year I had a very difficult situation with my cat who now is at the Rainbow Bridge, most people would have rejected my request for nursing her in that situation, but I found two lovely girls who made a more than excellent job.
I'm sure you can find something similar in your area.

The second option is sending her live with somebody else as long as those people are experienced with an elderly and diabetic cat.
Guinevere
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Guinevere »

Thanks Antonio

I did approach a pet sitting service but they only came in twice a day to feed her. Perhaps I will keep looking to see if I can find someone to live in with her as it does seem to be the best option.

I'm sorry to hear about your cat - you obviously did the very best for her until she passed. It's such a worry when they are older. Another one of my neighbours said to me "it's just a cat" but after 15 years as my shadow, that's simply not true!
Baggypants
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Baggypants »

Perhaps it's worth asking at your local vets if any of the vet nurses wouldn't mind looking after her for some extra cash?
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

Does time allow for her to have just one night in the cattery, as a trial, and to let her see that she does come back home after being there?

Staying at home would be better, of course, if you can make arrangements you'd be comfortable about.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Antonio »

Guinevere wrote:Thanks Antonio

I did approach a pet sitting service but they only came in twice a day to feed her. Perhaps I will keep looking to see if I can find someone to live in with her as it does seem to be the best option.

I'm sorry to hear about your cat - you obviously did the very best for her until she passed. It's such a worry when they are older. Another one of my neighbours said to me "it's just a cat" but after 15 years as my shadow, that's simply not true!
Guinevere, Baggypants gave you a wonderful idea. Ask your vet if they know someone, not necessarily one of their nurses, who could come to you home more than twice a day or live at your home for the time needed. Sometimes vets know many people who can help.

As for "it's just a cat" they are never just cats, after 15 years or after 15 minutes.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ha. 'Just a cat' eh? :evil: :x

Such people aren't worth a second of your time :)
Guinevere
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Guinevere »

Thanks everyone.

Hi Lilith! Remember Mojo who I found at the petrol station? I tried to find a home for him in Ireland with no luck so when I moved back to the UK in February I brought him here with me. Well, he now has a lovely new home in my village and his new owners are delighted with him and he is no doubt delighted to get away from Guinevere!

Alice, I did ask the cattery about a trial run but the owner said it was not a good idea as she would be stressed on the first day and then would remember it as a stressful place when I brought her back. She reassured me, as Kay says above, that after a day or two she would just settle down, but would I? lol!

I think I will keep making enquiries and have thought about another neighbour who is home all day who I might approach. I'll also enquire at the vet too.