Sore spot on skin

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
vic23
VIP Cat Chatter!

Sore spot on skin

Post by vic23 »

Daisy has had a red sore spot directly below her mouth underneath her chin for nearly 3 months now. I didn't immediately take her to the vets as I thought she had scratched it whilst washing and because of the location she seems to 'rescratch' it when she washes. As she is on steroids, I thought that would help clear the inflammation up too. I have felt it and it doesn't appear to have a lump, it is a just a flat red scabby patch which is circular and measures just under 1cm as an estimate. When I took Daisy to the vets about another issue about 3 weeks ago, the vet wouldn't examine her properly as she is fiery. However, she did get a glance at it and I showed her some pics I had taken on my phone. She didn't seem overly concerned but said that taking a sample is out of the question due to her fiery temperament. However, it is still there and I'm worried its cancer. At the same time, I always think the worst. Has anyone got any experience of the same type of thing?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Sore spot on skin

Post by Lilith »

Hi, I'm afraid I can't give any advice re sore but I don't blame you for worrying, I'd be worried too and want to know exactly what it was. But I'm surprised your vet won't handle her and examine her properly - is there another vet in the practice you could ask to see? I've taken large, half -wild cats to a vet and the vets and nurses have managed to handle them ok; even if it meant taking her in and leaving her for sedation before they examined her/did a biopsy, surely this could be managed?

Ah - edit - I once did have a cat with a sore spot under her chin and it was eczema - just remembered! But at least I had reassurance from the vet as she was being treated for something else at the time, and it got properly looked at.

Hope someone else on here can give you more reassurance though, and paws crossed that it's nothing to worry about - all the best.
vic23
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vic23 »

Thanks Lilith

Yes, they can do it under sedation but I'm hesitant to keep putting her under anaesthetic for something so minor - I have asked before whether they can give me something that will just chill her out a bit but they say no. I have had the same problem with a few of the vets. The good thing is I regularly call the vet about Daisy's other issue and she is happy to chat over things on the phone - I might call her next week and see what she says.

Admittedly, I haven't cleaned it with the scrub she suggested, but this is just an antiseptic scrub (like they use to wash their hands in) and she said that I had to wipe it off afterwards too - I don't honestly think Daisy is going to suffer this!

She is still on her steroids for another condition and also antibiotics (for a urine infection) - It feels like one thing after another so I think I was secretly praying that the skin thing would heal as I am constantly worrying about her! :(
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Is it Hibiscrub they suggested? One of my feral boys developed pink bare sores all over his stomach once; it was just after the severe floods we got 10 years ago (fun, that!) and I was worried that he'd lain on a contaminated surface (everything was contaminated.) The vet sold me some Hibiscrub and it was quite miraculous. He was a big lad, very feisty, with a head like a python - and he didn't inhibit his bites, but he allowed me to dab this stuff neat on him - I don't remember washing it off though; I ought to have done I realise.

It would certainly be worth trying on Daisy - BUT if she permits, of course. Is there someone who could help you, who could hold her while you do the deed ... easier said than done I realise! Good luck!
vic23
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vic23 »

Really need some support at the moment. I'm massively struggling with anxiety and strange low mood. This is compounded by my dreadful worrying and guilt about Daisy.

So, I tried the HIbiscrub as Lilith recommended it. However, she just won't let me put it on her, no matter how hard I try. She still has the sore spot and it is bleeding - but I think this is simply because she irritates it washing and rubbing it around everything in sight! She has always loved rubbing around doors etc and I think she is irritating it.

I know people will judge me (and believe me the guilt I'm feeling is tremendous), but I don't know whether I am being a little tough on myself. She first got this sore spot about 4 months ago - However, she has been backwards and forwards to the vets for months about other things and as she was on steroids, I thought this would help clear it as they had previously worked on another sore spot. I mentioned it to the vet in April - she suggested Hibiscrub in the first instance - she wouldn't examine it as Daisy is fiery - she did catch a glimpse of it and I did show her some photos. She didn't seem too concerned. Then Daisy got a urine infection and I thought the antibiotics may help the spot too, but no luck. I contacted the vet today and she is going in next Tuesday to have it looked at under sedation and a sample taken. Its not worth me taking her without sedation being planned as she is just unmanageable and I basically end up having to keep paying for consultations and coming out none the wiser. So, the guilt is because I feel now that I have left it so long and it could be cancer. In fact, I have convinced myself it is, but it could be many other things too. The vet said today on the phone that it may need a different antibiotic, for instance.

I have always tried to do my best for her - I have had her 13 months now and truthfully it has been a real struggle with her healthwise pretty much from the word go - I think part of me just couldn't cope with another problem.

I should say the sore is about just under 1cm, circular - it looks just like a bald inflamed patch that bleeds/scabs when she pulls it around I think. I don't think there is any lump there. It is under her chin on the edge very close to the mouth on the thin bony feeling part. If you google, it all points to cancer, but the symptoms are linked to other conditions too. Because I am so worried, I am starting to see things/symptoms that aren't there too I think.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey Vic, why should anyone judge you? You've been back and forth to the vet with Daisy, and done as they've said, such as trying the Hibiscrub instead of further tests.

I too would have tried a little 'benign neglect' to see if the patch cleared up by itself; sometimes they do. I for one understand completely about getting to the stage where you feel as if you can't face any more, but you are facing it; you've booked her in for this test.

I wish so much that I could reassure you more but of course there's no knowing just yet whether it is cancer or a nasty inflammation; I feel that the vet would have been more emphatic about tests before now if they'd thought it looked cancerous, but that's just conjecture on my part of course.

I do hope that the test is clear and throws more light on how to cure the sore patch. With all the very best of luck to you and Daisy, hugs, Lil x
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Are you able to post a pic? We've had a couple in recent years with rodent ulcers, have you googled them to see if it could be that? You are being a bit tough on yourself, you have been to the vet plenty of times, so definitely not neglecting it
vic23
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vic23 »

Hi Lilith and Booktigger,
Thanks so much for the replies - they help so much. I guess I feel so guilty because if its cancer, it will spread quickly and I have left it too long. But as my boyfriend said when it first appeared, you can't run to the vet about absolutely everything - if I did, I would live there! I already have a telephone relationship with the vet - I leave a message, she calls back!

I have tried to upload a picture but it says the file is too large :(

I have read about rodent ulcers (amongst many other conditions). I have tried to compare photos online, but everything seems to merge into one. I have desperately goggled but seem to get endless and differing answers. Its quite possible that it is an infection and needed different antibiotics than was given for the urine infection - perhaps the urine infection was a spread of the original infection? Her constant chin rubbing which she loves to do probably doesn't help. Its in one of the worst (if not the worst position) on her for healing.

The vet only took a glance and I said then that I thought the steroids would have cleared it up - she didn't seem overly concerned, so I chilled out a bit for a while about it. She did say today that because she is on a low dose steroid (albeit everyday), this might be why the steroid isn't working. I goggled and saw that steroids, although used as an anti-inflammatory - can also cause things like this - see what I mean about chasing round in circles. On the other hand, she did say that if antibiotics and steroids haven't been effective, it needs to be investigated.

I hate to think I have let her down. My own personal anxiety (which I am currently having treatment for), means that I often panic about things, which can sometimes mean that I may 'talk myself down' and think I am also over-reacting about things that I may not be. Its a balancing act.

Hope this makes sense!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi Vic, it does indeed. I too have had the dreaded anxiety all my life - no joke is it? It's a rollercoaster.

About antibiotics - I didn't realise until comparatively recently that not all antibiotics work for everything - certain ones are preferred for different conditions, so one ab may zap a certain condition while another disorder goes on thriving despite ab treatment.

It sounds to me that you're walking the extra mile for Daisy and more; you've nothing to reproach yourself with.

Again all the very best, I'll be thinking about you both, love and good luck, Lil x
vic23
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vic23 »

Thanks Lilith - I find myself a little more at ease now. I just have a week to wait before I take her and then a long wait for results more likely.

The antibiotics they gave for the UTI are actually mainly for skin infections, but they maybe needed to be stronger because she keeps upsetting it washing/rubbing etc?

The anxiety is a cruel beast indeed - I'm trying to beat it though.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

If you have an android phone, you can download something called easy Pic Resizer, there may be something similar if you have an IPhone
vic23
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vic23 »

So Daisy went into the vets today and had a lump removed. I have to wait for pathology results to find out what it is - the vet said not to worry at the moment as it could just be a cyst - she said it was easily removed and no problem with her lymph nodes near the site or her jaw as far as they can tell.

If it is skin cancer - and the lump has been cut out and hasn't spread - does anyone know what the next step is and whether removal cures the cancer?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi Vic, sadly no-one can answer that question before the biopsy result - but I reckon it's encouraging news about her lymph nodes, as these generally swell if the body's fighting infection or cancer.

All paws crossed here for a swift and good result - good luck Daisy! x
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey Vic, any news yet?

All paws still crossed here and Shahi the python is crossing his tail x
vic23
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vic23 »

Hi Lilith and All,
Just heard back from the vets.
The lump they took away is cancer. I am heartbroken.

The vet did tell me the type of cancer but I can't remember. Here are the main points:

-There were clear margins around the sample that were clear from cancerous tissue - this is potentially a good sign that the entire affected area was cut away.
-There have been clinical studies carried out into this cancer - some show that it doesn't spread, others say that it does, some aggressively and will spread to lymph nodes and lungs predominantly. They could do a chest xray but only tumours over 0.5cm will show. Her lymph nodes were felt around the area at the vets and nothing could be felt in them. Her lymph nodes were up in her stomach but the vet didn't mention this in relation to the skin cancer, this could be because of her IBD.
-Treatment options are only chemotherapy and monitoring. I personally will not go down the chemo route as I don't think it is the right thing for her - it will be massively traumatic and she is not a good patient. Without chemo, the vet said we should monitor her, keep checking the area to see if anything comes back.

I said to the vet 'is this definitely going to kill her?' The vet said not necessarily, we could have got rid of it before it spread potentially.

The guilt is tremendous as I feel I should have taken her when I first saw it. Yes, the vet would have probably still said try hibiscrub and antibiotics because the chances are she wouldn't let them properly examine her. I feel like I have massively let her down. On top of this, I am going on holiday tomorrow - she stays at home - my boyfriend's parents stay and look after her. However, I feel I should be around to keep an eye on her. Why couldn't it just have been a cyst? I knew as soon as I heard the vets voice that it was bad news.

If anyone has a similar experience, I would very much welcome the comments.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry it's cancer, but a clear margin round is very promising. You certainly haven't let her down, you took her to the vet. I would guess it is Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi Vic, this is dreadful. I'm so very sorry to hear. I agree with palliative care - it's what I'd want for myself in the same circumstances.

BUT, you haven't let her down, you've done everything you could to get to the root of the problem, and you've done everything the vet has said. And there ARE hopeful signs, as Booktigger says. I know it's a normal reaction, to feel that you could have done more, but please try not to feel so guilty (hugs.)

Also, please don't feel guilty over your holiday; it sounds like you're leaving her in the best of hands - also, it's you and your partner who are aware of the cancerous signs, not Daisy. She won't be sitting there worrying, bless her.

All the very very best, I'll be thinking of you and Daisy and hoping for some good news, love, Lil x