Possible Epilepsy

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
janeli+8959hohen
New Cat Chatter

Possible Epilepsy

Post by janeli+8959hohen »

My lovely wee boy Clyde who is only 3 years old whom I rescued from the streets four months ago is quite poorly right now. Two weeks ago exactly he had a massive seizure.... dilated pupils, foaming at the mouth and hissing, jumping everywhere, it was horrific to watch. I rushed him to the Emergency Vets where they suspected possible toxic poisoning and put him on a drip, took bloods etc. Around a few days later they sent him home as he appeared to be ok. This was a week ago now. I kept him inside obviously but he carried on having small seizures, foaming at the mouth and chewing. These lasted around ten seconds or so. Yesterday morning he kept having them one after the other. I rushed him back to the Vets. They administered rectal diazapam and kept him in, then they gave him medication for epilepsy after which the seizures stopped after 6pm. They called today to say he is more settled and can come home with the medication, however they are sending bloods to be tested for various other conditions, such as Feline Aids, Leukemia and Toxic poisoning as well as parasites. They have however ruled out the poisoning which is what they first thought it was. I am new on this site and wondered if anyone else had experienced this before and if so, and if it is Epilepsy, how will his quality of life be for the future? I have three other fur babies who do go outdoors and am wondering if after a few weeks Clyde will be able to venture outside once more? Sorry if this topic has already been on here before.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Possible Epilepsy

Post by Kay »

I'm afraid I have no experience myself, but this article looks very informative http://yourcatcareguide.com/seizures-in-cats/
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

I adopted a 7 month old Tig with epilepsy, they weren't sure of the cause as he had a number of health conditions at the time but he did very well on the medication (Epiphen) and eventually he seemed to grow out of it and has been off the Epiphen for a few years now (he's coming up 7). It can take some tweaking to get them on the right dose but once stable he should have a normal life.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

I should also add there's a very active Yahoo group for cats with Epilepsy.