Anxious Cat Peeing Inside - Please Help

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
blindcripple
New Cat Chatter

Anxious Cat Peeing Inside - Please Help

Post by blindcripple »

We have an older cat, MAX, (about 14), who has always had an anxiety problem. He used to always over-lick himself, to the state where he had very little hair. We adopted him about 5 years ago and he’s much better these days. Over the last year or so, he’s stopped going outside to go to the toilet. We have a litter box inside to try negate this, but he refuses to use it to pee, only poop (recently). He will pee all over the house - the bed, on anything that’s laying on the floor. This is getting worse and worse and harder to manage. We have a baby on the way and really can’t handle much more of this.

Factors:

- Our area has experienced a drought and the grass is practically nonexistent. (I don’t know if this really makes a difference)

- We got a new cat about 2 years ago, and Max will chase him away on occasion, especially if the new cat is in a warm spot.

- We used to be able to put him outside, and he would run to pee. If I put him outside now, he just stands at the door. Waits, then comes inside and pees somewhere.

- We use that crystal litter stuff in the litter box.

I’m tempted to buy a whole bunch of litter boxes to see if different types make a difference.
Is there anything else you can suggest? I’m losing patience :(
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Anxious Cat Peeing Inside - Please Help

Post by Kay »

the fact that he uses a litter box to poop does offer some hope - the silica crystals are quite hard on the paws, and one of mine refused to poop in the silica crystals when I tried them - he actually didn't go at all for five days - when I changed back to the fine clumping litter he was used to he went within a couple of hours - I buy Tesco's Ultra Fine Clumping Litter

another thing you could try is Puppy Pads, which will feel like bedding and clothes under his paws

does your other cat share the tray at all? if yes that could be a factor, and a second tray could make a difference

you will need to totally eradicate the smell of pee in the house though, as he will be attracted back to any place which smells of his wee - there are special cleaners on the market, and a light which shows up wherever there has been urine