Crying cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Didi
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Crying cat

Post by Didi »

The last couple of days there has been a cat somewhere nearby crying continually, at first I thought it was hurt and have been out in the dak with a torch and in the day in the pouring rain looking for it to check it was ok and was getting quite worried Anyway I have finally realised it's not a sick/ injured cat it's a female in heat ! Duh...
I find it really upsetting to hear her crying and wonder how anyone with an unneutered female copes with it, and how long it's likely to last

Someone needs to tell her she is wasting her time with Bilbo he was done as a kitten and probably would much rather have a boxing match than anything else :D
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Crying cat

Post by Lilith »

Hi there - takes me back to my breeding days, when you'd ask a girl 'what are you making?' and receive an answer, in full-throated Siamese - 'Aaaaaaa ROWWWW!'

I was married then and used to have to sleep in a spare bedroom with a girl in call, waking up to pacify her with titbits. It was a relief to send her off to stud - although they're quite capable of coming back from their 'honeymoons' still in full call.

The usual period of calling's between three days and a week, but they vary. It has been said of Siamese that they only go off call for as long as it takes to draw a deep breath. There's a lot of truth in this. My feral girls (before I got to know them) used to patrol the street like little banshees every night, so they didn't do so badly either.

Lol - you never know, Bilbo might have errm hidden depths; one of my neutered boys could (and on occasion did) mate a female, and a couple of others had a try, but it only got to the stage of sitting astride the girl and chewing her neck ...

Joking apart, I hope this little girl's not a stray, and that the owner has the sense to get her spayed once this call is over (you can't do them while they're actually in call; it's riskier.) Or there'll be another unwanted litter on the way :(