Cat attacking dog? Help?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Ginny10
New Cat Chatter

Cat attacking dog? Help?

Post by Ginny10 »

Our new cat, a stray that had been hanging around our house, seems to have some issues with our neighbors dog comming to visit. Our other two cats will simply jump up on a chair or bed when she comes over, but our new cat will chase, growl, and even pounce on top of her. We would like to train this cat to not attack dogs, and any tips, tricks, and advice is appreciated. He gets along just fine with all our other animals, including other cats and chickens. It's just the dog that he hates.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat attacking dog? Help?

Post by Lilith »

Hi Ginny and welcome.

This is a bit difficult. I feel New Cat may be still unsure of himself and feel he has to defend his territory from incoming dog. He might well, being a stray, have had some unpleasant encounters with dogs in his past, and dislike them. The main thing I feel is that this is HIS home and that the dog's importance is secondary.

However - is it possible to keep him and the dog apart during visits? Eventually he may become accustomed to her scent and take her for granted. Also, does he show any real aggression; does he hurt her if he pounces? The 'attacks' may just be warnings, but of course it's hard to know this; you don't want the dog hurt. How does she react?

I've lived with dogs and cats together and I'm lucky in that it was harmonious; usually I'd introduced the dogs as puppies, but one of my feral girls brought me her litter of kittens, too young to rehome, they had to stay in the spare room for a while and every evening Emily (avatar cat) dumped them on me and Lizzie the terrier, and went off for a little peace on my bed ...

What I'd do, personally, is, if New Cat persists with this behaviour, is to tell him 'no', pick him up and put him in another room (NOT outside as he might feel he's been banished from his house and sent back into straydom) and then, as soon as you can, take him a titbit or some treats, and make a big fuss of him, telling him this is HIS house but you don't care for his antics. Or as above, just keep them apart.

If you do have to tell him off, always reassure him afterwards; his self-esteem will still be fragile.

Hopefully there'll be other people along with more advice, but hope this helps for now and please let us know how you go on, all the very best :)