Rescued cat 6 weeks ago who turned out to be pregnant. Help please.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Poppycat
New Cat Chatter

Rescued cat 6 weeks ago who turned out to be pregnant. Help please.

Post by Poppycat »

6 weeks ago a cat turned up on my street which all eared lost and was meowing outside everyone's doors, my neighbour rung RSPCA who came out and placed a paper collar round her neck and recorded her as a stray, I ended up taking her in and managed to track down her owner through Facebook the owner didn't want the cat back nd told me she wanted to get 'rid' of her anyways as she was scarred of her 4 dogs and kept running away. Anyways Poppy seems to have settled in and is happy however she is now heavily pregnant (obviously became pregnant before I got her) my mum used to breed and show birman cats (she kept most the kittens she bred for show purposes) so I do have some experience with pregnant cats and delivery (witnessed a cat freak out in labour as well as stuck kittens).

I have set up a nesting area for Poppy in my bedroom as it can get noisy downstairs with my children however Poppy is now appearing restless she is very uncomfortable can't decide is she wants to lie on her side or on her tummy and keeps standing up and moving around so I can only read this behaviour as it's 'nearly time' but she keeps trying to go outside meowing at the front door and tried to escape out of an upstairs window this morning my question is could she be trying to go outside to have her babies? She has me frantic especially since I'm in and out the house during the day so scarred she's going get out and disappear :|

I'm not really sure what I'm asking from this thread but does her actions sound like impending labour?

Also she will be getting spayed once kittens are old enough to leave and I know I have to keep her inside as she can come back in heat soon after giving birth so I'm prepared for a crazy 12 weeks and an unhappy cat as she won't be able to go out!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Rescued cat 6 weeks ago who turned out to be pregnant. Help please.

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome and good on you for taking in this poor cat.

Yes, it sounds to me as if she's chosen a nest outdoors and wants to return to it, but of course you can't let her do that. You sound to be quite experienced enough to know any signs of her being in difficulties with labour; hopefully, once the first kitten arrives, she'll settle and let the rest be born in peace, bless her. But if you do have any doubts, I'd ring the vet and discuss it with them, just to be on the safe side.

Hopefully other people will be able to add more advice but hope this helps for now - all the best for a straightforward birth and healthy litter - please let us know how she goes on :)