What should belly feel like

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Alexandra_812
New Cat Chatter

What should belly feel like

Post by Alexandra_812 »

Hi all,

New to the page, and concerned cat owner. I had a little one pass away from FIP, so I am a neurotic mess when it comes to my kitties health. She just turned 10 months, and has a pouch under her stomach that sways back and forth whenever she runs anywhere. That doesn't worry me, and I am aware it is a primordial pouch. However, my kitty has some chub on her. I want to put my worry to bed by checking in and seeing what it should feel like? It is somewhat squishy but also solid at the same time. I am assuming it is fat on her tum but in the back of my head I just keep hearing the word "cancer" or "tumor" Can someone please help me out!

Thank you very much!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: What should belly feel like

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

Very sorry to hear about losing your cat to FIP - that must have been dreadful, and I can understand the ongoing fear.

Yes, what you describe is the normal loose belly skin - the 'milk skirt' and beneath that there will be a solid muscular stomach where you can feel the outlines of the gut - depending on the cat's stomach workings, this can change shape slightly of course, even from hour to hour.

I'm not an expert, mind, just stroked a lot of cat bellies!

Any doubt, best get a vet check of course, and hopefully there will be people with more knowledge than me along later (I'm an insomniac lol) but hope this helps for now. All the best :)
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: What should belly feel like

Post by lilynmitz »

Sorry to hear about your loss. How awful for you. I totally empathise with how you feel, I just lost one of mine too young to an awful medical condition, and have said goodbye to several oldies in recent years, so you do get over-sensitive to absolutely everything, but being vigilant is still a good thing.

However, I agree with Lilith's comments. It does depend on the cat of course, and your puss at 10 months old will still be putting on weight and changing shape, so try not to panic at every change. Just monitor her mood and habits, particularly food and litter tray, as those are often the first real indicators of medical conditions.