FIV Adoption

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
msalsa
Experienced Cat Chatter

FIV Adoption

Post by msalsa »

I wonder if anyone could help with some questions.
Thinking of looking at a FIV cat to adopt and have been looking into insurance.
I chatted to Feline friends and they said that they are happy to insure FIV but of would not cover any related problems, I did expect this but they could not tell me what they thought were related problems.
They said that they rely on the vets diagnosis and if the vet thinks that the issue, whatever it may be is FIV related, then they will state that on the claim form then the cat would not be covered.
I was wondering if anyone had any good/bad experiences with this?
Also second question, I have never had an ''indoor cat'', do they settle down to be an indoor cat or are they always trying to throw themselves out the door? My Ted would have hated being indoors all the time so I am a bit worried about this. the Cp said that the cat in question has lived outside for a while and although very shy at first is now loving being in and that most Tom cats who have lived outside when they are in and fed and neutered then they are just happy to stay in. So any advice on this would be good too, thanks in advance.
It had been 18 months now since I lost my Ted to an rta, so an indoor cat would be a good plan for me.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: FIV Adoption

Post by bobbys girl »

Perhaps I'm just very cynical when it comes to insurance companies, but alarm bells rang when I read 'related problems' - that could mean just about anything! Probably other folks could help you with that.

Does your 'new' cat have to be an indoor-only cat? My Bob is FIV+, he comes and goes as he pleases, though he is always in at night. He is a happy, healthy boy who frets when he is kept in.

A big THANK YOU for thinking of adopting an FIV cat. I'm sure there is one waiting for you somewhere. :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Hello again,

hope1 (FIV section) is desperate to find a home for a FIV cat. I know it's short notice but....
msalsa
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by msalsa »

Hi
Thanks so much for you two reply's!
I couldn't find the link to the fiv cat that needs to be adopted that you mentioned.
I have already spotted one that I like, hence the questions. I guess to be honest part of the appeal about an FIV is that they are indoors, I sort of feel less guilty if they cannot go out rather than I will not let them out...if you know what I mean.
I live in a quiet cul de sac in a small village, there is a semi busy road at the end of my road. My Ted was caught on that road, there was a big friendly Tom cat that lived opposite me, he was not mine but always stopped to be fussed and scrunched by me and we made friends, he was run over on that road too the other month. So I just cannot do a cat that is let out, I would be just too worried and find it hard just to keep any cat in, so an FIV I thought was a good option.
:)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I understand completely what you are saying. I hope you adopt your cat soon, you say you have your eye on a particular cat? Please remember that he/she may be FIV+ but it does not mean they are ill.

I do worry about Bobby more than the others (he's my special little boy) but I shouldn't. He is probably the most healthy of the lot and having only 3 legs the others are very muscley (is that a word?) :lol:

Let us know how you go on. I look forward to hearing from you.