FIV and VE

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
railwaycats
Frequent Cat Chatter

FIV and VE

Post by railwaycats »

I am so pleased I found this wonderful forum as I know you are full of good advice. Bernard has recently been diagnosed with FIV and VE. I am not really sure what VE is and I know my wonderful vet told me a zillion times but its not sinking in. So do any of you have or had the same with your fur babies. Advice really is welcome. Thank you
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: FIV and VE

Post by Crewella »

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the VE bit is just a way of writing that the cat has tested positive for FIV - as in FIV +ve.

One of my foster cats has tested as FIV +ve so I'm just finding out all about it myself - I found this website really helpful:

http://www.v63.net/catsanctuary/fiv.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Give Bernard a fuss from me. My Greebo doesn't appear to know there's anything wrong - he's doing just fine. :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I think Helen is right. I've never heard of VE and can find no reference to it as a separate thing.
railwaycats
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by railwaycats »

I was so in a tizzy with all what was going on I think I must of misheard. So I'm sorry for the confusion. Apparently Bernard tested positive for FIV and another blood disorder that the immune system is in overdrive attacking his red blood cells. He is having a steroid injection twice a week and I'm hand feeding him a tin of recovery food daily. If we can get over the next few weeks things will look brighter for him but he isn't out of the woods and I just wondered if anyone had any experience of this or any advice I can pass to my vet. Thanks as always and I'm sorry for for my confused post. On a positive note, Bernard is drinking by himself and has eaten a little by himself too and he is talking at me again like he used to. I'm taking that as a good sign :D I'll try and post a couple of photos of him so you can see who I'm talking about. THANK YOU
railwaycats
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by railwaycats »

Bernard enjoyed the fuss :D
railwaycats
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by railwaycats »

Bernard a few weeks ago and now
Attachments
Bernard a couple of days ago
Bernard a couple of days ago
photo(29).JPG (54.62 KiB) Viewed 6116 times
Bernard a few weeks ago
Bernard a few weeks ago
photo(31).JPG (48.9 KiB) Viewed 6116 times
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

What a handsome fellow! The contrasting photos remind me of our Tommy. I took a photo of him just after he was diagnosed with CKD, he looked so drawn and tired. I really did think it would be the last picture I had of him. :cry:

Looking at him now, he is still very thin at the 'waist' but his face has filled out and he looks more content - just like your boy.

I do hope he continues to improve. Give him a fuss from me.
railwaycats
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by railwaycats »

I am devastated. Bernard passed away at 3.56am.
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

I'm so very sorry for your pain, only positive I can think is that the lovely Bernard is not suffering now . Think of all the wonderful times you spent together and the daft things he did that made you laugh. You did your best for him and he would know that.....goodbye Bernard .......sweet dreams
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I am so sorry to hear the news. How terribly sad, just when he seemed to be improving.

He is at peace now, no more pain or suffering. RIP sweet boy. Many ((Hugs)) to you.
railwaycats
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by railwaycats »

I knew we weren't out of the woods but everything was pointing in the right direction. Then he went down hill faster than a roller coaster. I hope Bernards story helps in some way. From a few weeks ago to him not being himself with a few mouth ulcers to being diagnosed with FIV and IMHA. I also believe that being a very highly strung cat didn't help. He came to me from a nursery,as the rspca and cat protection people apparently didn't want to know, so they rang me as I was a hedgehog rescue at the time and close by. I took him in. He was approx a 5 month old kitten. Eyes stuck together, singed on one side as he had tried to get warm by their incinerator and very very under weight. Lots of trips to the vets (no blood tests done though) and tlc and Bernard flourished into a beautiful boy who remained a housecat. I was the only human that was allowed to go near him. I felt very honoured. He gave me the best cuddles and spoke when he needed cuddles too.

I just wanted to thank you for your beautiful words and although I don't know any of you, I'm giving a thank you hug right back as your words were needed. THANK YOU
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so sorry, you tried so hard for him but sometimes there really is nothing you can do. I hope you find some comfort in knowing what a difference you made to his life. He was such a lucky boy to have found you. (((hugs)))

Rest in peace beautiful Bernard. xx