Newly diagnosed cat

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
Nugga
New Cat Chatter

Newly diagnosed cat

Post by Nugga »

Hi everyone, our tom cat fell very ill over the weekend and was taken into the vets, over the week he was on and off his food he generally didn't seem himself then he seem to pick up, Saturday he lost his appetite, by sunday he seemed to have lost weight and still not eating, and seemed to lose his will to carry on :cry: We saw a vet Monday who told her she was sure it was mouth cancer but wasn't 100%, she gave him an antibiotic and pain killer and we were told to take him home and make a decision but to be prepared that it might have to be the PTS decision.

Anyway by the Tuesday he perked up again, not completely 100% but 95% better, he was a lot brighter, fighting with me to get out of the cat carrier and eating. so when I went back Tuesday I told her I wasn't willing to PTS on her thinking it was mouth cancer and no concrete evidence as to what was wrong with him especially when he'd picked up, don't get me wrong if he hadn't and was still ill I would have PTS (I'm not a selfish peron). Its a really long story and will try to cut it down as much as possible. Anyway she agreed to admit him and do some tests, so off we went to the hospital.

They take him in and tell me his bloods had come back as slightly anemic so they will deal with this straight away and then the tooth/gum problem.

They put him on a drip to rehydrate him and some pain killers and antibiotics. And agreed for the vet to do a full blood screen as I still didn't have an answer as to what was wrong with him. Again he picked up over night, the vet rang to say we can take him home but should anything turn we had to take him back, anyway he's been fine, eating drinking etc, when we went to pick him up they told us the bloods had come back and it showed he has FIV & Lukemia. Shock wasn't in it, we've always had him injected! The vet explained that the vac's aren't 100% and that they are only 85% and some cats are susceptible to it! Gutted isn't in it, we have always been so careful.

Anyway I've kinda read up on it, all the symptoms etc, he doesn't seem to have any apart from when he's got to stage 5 or so we think, so we come to conclusion he's in the later stages :cry:

We really don't have a clue about these diseases apart from you get your vac's to stop this kind of thing, can anyone please give us some advice how we deal with this? I read the diet is a key part but can't find anything else about it :(
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Newly diagnosed cat

Post by Crewella »

I'm sorry your boy's not well, it's gut-wrenching when something like this happens. To be honest I'm a little unclear as to exactly what he has, but I can tell you that I have an FIV+ cat who is doing fine - they are more suceptible to infections as it is a disease that affects their immunity, but in itself it's not necessarily a death sentence. Are the vets telling you he has FIV AND leukemia? If he's getting better, then that's the most important thing and I hope he continues to do so.
Nugga
New Cat Chatter

Post by Nugga »

Hi Crewella, he's been diagnosed with both AIDS and lukemia, so far he's up and down he'll have a good day then a bad day, I'm just trying to get as much info as possible, particular what to feed him as I've read diet plays an important role.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

To me Aids is something that can develop FROM FIV+ (it's not the same thing). My boy Bob is FIV+. We found out when a cut leg wouldn't heal and had to be removed. But he came through a massive Op and is fine now. He is only a youngster (3) and I do worry about him far more than the others.

A lovely couple called Bob and Barbara Know far more about FIV than me. They can be contacted on www.FIVcats.org.uk

I know nothing of Feline Leukaemia just that it is more serious than FIV.

I hope you get the help and advice you need and you know we are here for you.