IAMS

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

IAMS

Post by MarkB »

I stopped buying it years ago, after all the stuff that came to light about the terrible animal testing they did. They said they were changing their practices, but it didn't seem right to buy it. I found out recently that the company was bought by Mars/Waltham last year. I have decided that buying IAMS is no worse than buying Whiskas or any other Mars product now -what do others think?

PS- I bought a bag of their IAMS Naturally in Sainsbury's yesterday. I need to check the ingredients, but it says Salmon with rice - so assume it is similar to Purina One. It is 1/2 price at the moment, a 750g bag for £2.20 I think. I can't remember seeing a new food so well-received. Kasper's head was straight in the bowl :lol: - his usual dry is Purizon (70% fish grain-free) from Zooplus.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: IAMS

Post by Janey »

I don’t know, I’ve avoided IAMs so would be interested to see what others think.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

The ingredient list is here, the rice content is only 4.1% and it does contain wheat, although not the first ingredient, so who knows how much it contains. None of mine (that I know of) has issues with wheat, but obviously I don't want to feed any high cereal foods - probably OK as back up though - especially when it is 1/2 price :)

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_ ... lly/589077
Last edited by MarkB on Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I'm ashamed to say I knew nothing of the IAMS scandal - I was completely out of touch with news re foods etc until I joined the forum, but before then I'd stopped feeding it because the cats decided they didn't like it. Can't argue with the cats.

(Well, you CAN, but it won't get you anywhere ... :) )
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Given it's pricing it is one of the cheaper higher meat content dry foods out there. I can't buy it because of Harry and his suspected cereal / wheat intolerance so I just wouldn't risk it... but before I knew about Harry I used to be tempted because of the cost. Same as you Mark, their reputation put me off
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Judy Barnett »

I didn't know anything about Iams either, we've used Royal Canin now for years and always been happy with it.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I never fed it, as I always felt it was expensive for the ingredients. That link just says 4.1% salmon, not even minimum, although dried chicken and turkey is obviously higher being the first ingredient. Still not impressed with the ingredient list.
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

I think you were lucky to be shopping yesterday, Mark. There's no 750g bags showing up now on Sainsbury's website, but 800g size is £4.50. I wonder if they were changing pack size, so reduced the older stock.

Over 20 years ago I used to buy Iams, under the impression that it was a good food, but stopped when I read the adverse publicity. I've just stocked up on Purina One while it's on offer at £6.99 for a 3kg bag at Zooplus, (£15.50 at Sainsbury's and £16.49 at PAH), but may try Iams again for a change, when I need to buy again.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Like Lilith, I don't buy IAMS because Tilly won't eat it. No good arguing with her on what she likes and doesn't like!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Its probably going back a decade or two but I heard about a link between IAMS and kidney problems in cats. My parents got on very well their vet at the time and he mentioned to them that he and several of his colleagues had noticed a correlation between cats fed on IAMS and those they were treating for kidney problems and urine crystals. Of course IAMS always denied everything, but it was enough to make my parent and myself decide never to feed our cats it.

I always feed Purina One these days mainly because that is the one the cats seem to like. Every so often I will pick up a bag of some other brand, normally a more expensive one as a treat, and then end up throwing most away, or mixing it with some Purina One in hopes that they won't just pick it out and throw it on the floor.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Same here Lilith, I knew nothing either. I have given them Iams in the past, but they started turning up their little noses and I started looking at cereal content, and that was it.

I try other things (if they are on offer) but they always come back to James Wellbeloved.

We've just had a 'pig-nic' tea (Judy will know what that is :D ) with roast ham off the bone. Willow mugged me for some of that, she wouldn't take bxxxxr-off for an answer! SO much nicer than boring old cat food. :roll:
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Judy Barnett »

bobbys girl wrote:
We've just had a 'pig-nic' tea (Judy will know what that is :D ) with roast ham off the bone. Willow mugged me for some of that, she wouldn't take bxxxxr-off for an answer! SO much nicer than boring old cat food. :roll:
That reminds me of the first time we went to St. Ives and left Sandra, our neighbour to look after Yowlee. When we got back we went round with a present for her. She said "I hope you don't mind but Yowlee wouldn't eat anything the first couple of days, I think he was missing you, so I opened a tin of salmon for him". We later on gave him his usual tea only for him to look up at us as if to say, "What's this rubbish, where's me salmon". Before sticking his nose in the air and stropping off. Thanks Sandra! :lol:
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I checked the pack and it's actually 700g. I didn't check the receipt, so there is a chance they forgot to take old signage down and I paid full price!

I just looked at Zooplus and Purina One is £9.99, or 6kg for £18.99 - I have never seen it on offer any cheaper. Maybe I missed it. Our regular food is Purina One sensitive and I last ordered about 4 weeks ago.

Edit - the deal is still showing on Sainsbury's website http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/gro ... -rice-700g
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

That is cheap Mark. I’ve just checked Ocado where I shop and it was £4.49, now £3.50, so still a much better offer at Sainsburys.
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Alice »

I'm puzzled - I had an email nearly 2 weeks ago from Zooplus offering the Purina One at £6.99 for 3kg, implying that it was only for a few days, so I ordered some and that's what I paid. I assumed that all of us on here who use Zooplus would get the same email, so didn't post it. I've just checked and it seems to still be on offer at £6.99, so why are you not seeing the same price, Mark? :?

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_ ... purina_one

Also, I can now see the Sainsbury's offer on Iams, mentioned by Mark, but it didn't show up when I looked yesterday - all very odd :roll:
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Alice wrote:I'm puzzled - I had an email nearly 2 weeks ago from Zooplus offering the Purina One at £6.99 for 3kg, implying that it was only for a few days, so I ordered some and that's what I paid. I assumed that all of us on here who use Zooplus would get the same email, so didn't post it. I've just checked and it seems to still be on offer at £6.99, so why are you not seeing the same price, Mark? :?

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_ ... purina_one

Also, I can now see the Sainsbury's offer on Iams, mentioned by Mark, but it didn't show up when I looked yesterday - all very odd :roll:
I got that e-mail - annoyingly two days after I did the monthly order!! I still bought it - and I got some Sheba for Lucy, as no shops had it on offer - since then I've found it cheaper in 3 shops ..
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks for the link. I looked here http://www.zooplus.co.uk/esearch.htm#q= ... 0sensitive

Not the first time I have seen things on their website at 2 different prices. The Purizon I order for Kasper is at 2 different priceson there. Time to stock up I think! :)

Their 30% off price is better than 1/2 price at UK supermarket prices! :D (Although I paid £11 for a bag in Sainsbury's on Monday) Sainsbury's normal price is £15.50 now :o - The thing I like about Zooplus is that they supply it in 1.5kg bags, which are easier to handle. I would say it stays fresh for longer, but as I feed other cats in the garden as well as my own, a 1.5kg bag doesn't last a week :lol:

Re the email, I may have missed it. I always seen to get an offer email the day after I place an order! :lol:
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

MarkB wrote:Thanks for the link. I looked here http://www.zooplus.co.uk/esearch.htm#q= ... 0sensitive

Not the first time I have seen things on their website at 2 different prices. The Purizon I order for Kasper is at 2 different priceson there. Time to stock up I think! :)

Their 30% off price is better than 1/2 price at UK supermarket prices! :D (Although I paid £11 for a bag in Sainsbury's on Monday) Sainsbury's normal price is £15.50 now :o - The thing I like about Zooplus is that they supply it in 1.5kg bags, which are easier to handle. I would say it stays fresh for longer, but as I feed other cats in the garden as well as my own, a 1.5kg bag doesn't last a week :lol:

Re the email, I may have missed it. I always seen to get an offer email the day after I place an order! :lol:
It's one of the things that annoy me with them.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Well I ordered 21kg of Purina One sensitive at the offer price. Assuming it isn't short-dated (unlikely) I think I will order some more at the beginning of the month if the deal is still on.

In typical cat style though. There was some IAMS on the deck outside. Domino was fussing for food.I also put some Purina One down.He sniffed both and opted for the IAMS :lol: - Oh well - There are plenty of other cats that will demolish the Purina - Not as if it is Harrington's,which no cat seems to like around here, including scroungers that come in the garden.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

MarkB wrote:Well I ordered 21kg of Purina One sensitive at the offer price. Assuming it isn't short-dated (unlikely) I think I will order some more at the beginning of the month if the deal is still on.

In typical cat style though. There was some IAMS on the deck outside. Domino was fussing for food.I also put some Purina One down.He sniffed both and opted for the IAMS :lol: - Oh well - There are plenty of other cats that will demolish the Purina - Not as if it is Harrington's,which no cat seems to like around here, including scroungers that come in the garden.
The Purina I got is fine till 2018. My foster cats like Harringtons
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Alice »

No problem with the dates on the Purina, Mark, as Desley says. Mine is dated for use by July2018, so at the rate you get through it it's not going to last so long.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

Mine have Purina One sensitive and have for years. I normally get the 800g bags when it goes down from 4.99 to £4, as it does every few weeks.

It actually smells quite nice. I've been tempted to try some...almost. :)
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Alice »

That's the one I give my cats, and at the offer price of £6-99 for 3kg (£2-33 per kg) it's an incredible bargain and worth stocking up. :D
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Will will definitely order more next week if the offer is still on. I have a 'lesson learned' to remind me. Around xmas time, Sainsbury's and Waitrose have Lavazza coffee twinpacks with 50% extra free (so a triple pack for the price of a twin pack) at the time, I bought 10 of them and topped up with a few more packs the following week when there were some left. I have just started the last multipack and already regret not buying more at the time. It seemed a lot of money to lay out at the time, but if you can manage it, it really makes sense to stock upon things that you know will get used.
Last edited by MarkB on Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

MarkB wrote:Will will definitely order more next week if the offer is still one. I have a 'lesson learned' to remind me. Around xmas time, Sainsbury's and Waitrose have Lazazza coffee twinpacks with 50% extra free (so a triple pack for the price of a twin pack) at the time, I bought 10 of them and topped up with a few more packs the following week when there were some left. I have just started the last multipack and already regret not buying more at the time. It seemed a lot of money to lay out at the time, but if you can manage it, it really makes sense to stock upon things that you know will get used.
I do that all the time - as long as things have a good date, and you know you like them, it's cheaper in the long run. I don't think I've ever paid full price for Lucy's wet food - I technically paid full price on Zooplus, but it was still 58p cheaper than the supermarket, so not really.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

It looks as if they have sold out of the sensitive version at the offer price. My delivery is coming today. Oh well, at least it is a decent amount and will hopefully last a few months http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_ ... purina_one

I also bought some of the Lamb IAMS in Sainsbury's yesterday for variety.
Attachments
IMG_2140.JPG