Wet food

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Crazy Kitty
Frequent Cat Chatter

Wet food

Post by Crazy Kitty »

Hi all! Wondering if anyone can recommend a good quality wet food that is likely to leave my cat feeling fuller for longer? We feed a mix of wet and dry but find the wet food only satisfies him for about and hour and then he's hungry again!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Wet food

Post by Lilith »

Hi there, I'm not an expert on nutrition but I once read that it takes 4 hours to digest a steak and this link, basic as it is, seems to prove it -

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/foods-l ... 11622.html

So in that case, could it be that a wet cat food free from the faster digested carbs (cereal) could be the answer and will fill the cat up for longer?

My cats really like Butcher's Classic(meat in jelly) and it's under £3.00 for 6 tins and cereal free. They have biscuits down all the time (Purina and Royalcanin Fibre Response - the older two tend to be constipated) and share a tin of Butcher's every evening.

Doesn't stop the little gits yelling at me if I dare to make myself a ham sandwich though! :D

There will be other brands and other people on here will have more knowledge but hope this helps for now :)
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

How old is he? And is this hunger a new thing? There can be a medical reason for an increased appetite, especially in a cat who is middle aged or more

If he is an older cat, check out the symptoms of Hyperthyroid
Crazy Kitty
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Crazy Kitty »

He's 3. We adopted him as a stray just 2 months ago. His worm treatment is up to date and showing no signs of illness. He's always hungry since we got him which we put down to him being a stray but he got a lot better in the last couple of weeks but is now seeming to be more hungry again!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Early days yet. It just might be that he is not used to regular mealtimes and not having to wonder where his next meal is coming from or WHEN he will eat again. If he is wormed and otherwise healthy, I wouldn't worry too much.

Lilith's point about cereal free food is a good one. Cereals only satisfy hunger for a short time, then you are hungry again (works for cats and humans) but cats are not designed to eat cereals. Butcher's classic is filling AND cheap.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm another one that tries to keep down the cereal content in my cats' diet by making sure the wet food at least is cereal free (I feed half wet and half dry). As has been said, the cheap cereal 'fillers' don't seem to satisfy them for long.

If you're sure that here's no medical issue, then it may well be the fact that he's been a stray and can't quite believe his luck now he gets regular meals. More than 6 months since he arrived my Paddington is still cleaning every bowl of food he encounters and making a dash for the kitchen (where they sometimes get treats) if he sees one of us get to our feet for any reason. He has, however. taken on board the set mealtimes and now he knows that it won't work he has stopped bothering us for food between mealtimes.