My Cats health

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Annie1954
Returning Cat Chatter

My Cats health

Post by Annie1954 »

Hello, I'm new to this site, I just hope and can find a little help.

My cats name is Lili Blu, he's 18 yrs old.

For a little over 2yrs he's been losing weight, I've been taking him to the vets for, loss of fur, head jerking, head down and dead eyes. His feces smells absolutely horrendous, got worse over a period of time. He still eats and drinks but constantly, won't groom himself I have to brush and comb him daily. No interaction anymore

Obviously an underlying illness. So I've been advised by the vet to put him to sleep. I'm constantly googling to see if it's something that can be resolved and I'm getting no answers. I feel absolutely terrible on him, but in my heart of hearts I know it's the right thing to do.

But when I look at him he's not in any pain, but I can feel his ribs and his spine is prominent, so I know it's time.

Thank you for reading my post, thank you for taking the time , Annie x
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: My Cats health

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. So sorry about your cat, poor lad. Has the vet done any blood tests?
Annie1954
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Annie1954 »

No blood test, vet seems to think the underlying illness is serious, he said constant medication, and it's not fair, he's 88 in cat years he said he's not young and I'll be watching him fade away.

It's all about quality of life and I do understand, I have 2 more cats one is 4 years and the other15 years, Ruby the older one is still playful and responds while Lili is just lying there, nothing, he can't walk up the stairs anymore.

I really want him to stay, but silently suffering it's not fair.

I've not just come to this decision it's been in my mind for months,since the vet mentioned, I've even took him to another vet for a second opinion, but same answer.

I've done everything that we do with our little cats, I've changed his diet, but still being sick after food most days, blood in his stools and mucus, even with worming vet said it would stop, it hasn't.

Yesterday the smell in my house was horrendous so bad I could smell it in bed at 4am, came down and changed and washed litter box. I just don't know.

Thank you so much for your reply I really appreciate.

Annie
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'm surprised they aren't recommending blood tests to see if there is anything treatable. It doesn't sound like he has a good quality of life though.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

If it were me I would ask for full bloods doing, he may be able to get treatment and at least you can say you’ve done all you could. I adopted a cat older than yours, in poor health, after blood tests and the right treatment he lived another 4 years. All the best for your little one, give him a cuddle from me please.
Annie1954
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Annie1954 »

Thank you all for your replies, I'm going to contact vets in the morning and suggest blood test, I've been that worried upset trying to do my best I've never even thought to ask for blood test!!! Wouldn't you think after 2 years that this should have been done as routine.

I will ask for bloods and hopefully I'll get some answers, I will post and let you all know.

I knew it was the right decision to join this forum, thank you all for your kind support, thank you.

Annie
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I hope you get some answers soon and you can decide what to do for the best.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Having to put a cat to sleep is the most horrid decision any of us have to make and we have to be sure it is the right one. You obviously aren't sure yet, although you can see that his quality of life is low. Get the blood tests done, at worst it will show that his body is failing and his time has come and you will know you did all you could for him, at best it will show he has some treatable condition and you can move forward from there.

Whatever the outcome, let us know. You will find that we are all understanding and know what you are going through.
Annie1954
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Annie1954 »

Morning, thank you for all your replies, I've been up with Lili, he's gone from consuming lots of food to not eating, no bowl movement, I'm going to phone vets this morning and explain and ask for bloods, I feel for this old man, I'm so upset, but all I can do is my best.

I just hope the bloods show what he's suffering from, I'm so mad at myself for not asking. I'm praying and hoping that whatever can be treated and he can have some more years with his family.
Annie1954
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Annie1954 »

I have phoned vets, seemingly Lili had bloods of this I can't remember, I do remember my vets bill being £98 but thought that was consultation fees and medication!!! He's just told me cancer doesn't show in bloods!!! I'm absolutely fuming!! Asked why I wasn't told or even a phone call.

When I questioned the £98 and thought that included consultation fees, receptionist said " why would you think that, you only pay on first visit" How rude!!!

Well I'm off to get another second opinion!!
Annie1954
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Annie1954 »

In fact when I think back, I had to go out of the room because I thought he was giving injections, I faint at the sight of needles, I actually do, it's a phobia with me. Oh what a mess.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

It's not sounding good Annie. Something needs to be done soon. It's still not totally hopeless. I have nursed a cat through enteritis. She was very ill when we found her and she needed an IV of fluids and vitamins. But we had to ACT FAST.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I would certainly see if another vet could see him today and possibly leave him over night so they could do fasting blood tests first thing (fasting tests give better results for a lot of things). Cancer may not show up but organs that aren't working right, infections and inflammation all have markers that can be picked up. It may not be Cancer, it might be an infection, it might just be old age, which is what happened with my old Ragdoll, he was 16 years old and his organs just started to fail and he lost all interest in life, there was no question in my mind what was the best course.

They should explain exactly what you are paying for before you agree to it, possibly even with a breakdown of how much each test is so you can agree to have them done and accept the responsibility for paying for them. It's basic retail courtesy you should know what you are expected to pay before the work is done. If there is any doubt ask for it to be itemised and printed off for you.