Incredible heatwave Australia

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Incredible heatwave Australia

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Folks we're experiencing a horrific heatwave 40+ degrees in Australia! Some areas 46+. Little Paws president, Deb Bright, ran out of room (house/office) for fur babes to put in aircon. Picked up these 3 yesterday to house - all girls just been speyed. Torties Elsa & Annie, ginger Pumpkin. A little hissing from Harper & TC but nothing too serious. They're in my main bathroom where I have a decent sized shower recess.
IMG_0202.JPG
IMG_0202.JPG (32.58 KiB) Viewed 2625 times
Vivian
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Incredible heatwave Australia

Post by bobbys girl »

I wish you could send a few of those degrees this way! Part of one of our sofas is in front of a radiator. Our lot are fighting for the warmest spot. Gracie was IN our bed last night.

Funny how they are all pressed flat to the cool tiles. :D
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

My aunt is on The Gold Coast. She said it will be 38 there today (she is a bit inland) She is keeping her animals inside, but having to take antihistamines -she is one of those people that loves her 'furkids' (as she calls them :lol: ) but is allergic.

I'm not sure if animals acclimatise, but remember the summer before last when Kasper turned up as a stray. It was 38 one day (almost unheard of in the UK) and he was hyperventilating.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Hi Vivian, you most likely know all the important stuff anyway, but this link has some tips for dealing with pets and wildife in hot weather:

https://www.catchat.org/index.php/hot-w ... s-wildlife

I hope it cools down a bit for you all soon.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Much as I moan about the cold (and have been this week as it's been blerdy freezing!) at least you can do more about warming up than you can about cooling down. I hope it goes back down to sensible levels soon, and bless you for helping out! :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Cool for cats eh? Well, for those three and the Puss-kateers :) Lucky cats.

That kind of heat is terrifying - however do people manage to carry on as normal, working and travelling? Whew! My royal python comes from Ghana and his 'warm end' vivarium temp is a mere 33c. Hope temps are back to normal soon for you.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Crewella agree easier to warm up than cool down. And Lilith it was horrendous - didn't move away from aircon. Mark the beaches were well populated! Hope your aunt benefited from the coast's breezes but being inland a bit may have hindered this. My three house guests still with me. Harper had a paw under showe door last night playing with one of the torties' tail :lol: Vivian
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Judy Barnett »

Hi mayday, how is the rest of the wildlife coping with the heat?
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

And meanwhile here, temperatures aren't quite into double figures yet. The cats are still enjoying the fire in the evening.
Attachments
fire copy.jpg
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Judy I've a bird bath but to be honest I think the birds found it too hot to visit. The CEO of the RSPCA here was on the radio Mon saying they were inundated with calls. Vivian