BSH Breeder in South East

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Dinu
New Cat Chatter

BSH Breeder in South East

Post by Dinu »

Just over a year ago me and my girlfriend purchased a beautiful British Short hair from Ferrersford cattery. We did our research on our beautiful boy Eli, he came vaccinated with insurance and was GCCF registered, with all the relevant pedigree certificates. However just before his first birthday he was diagnosed with Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP) and died shortly a month after. He was an indoor cat and had never come into contact with any other cat, the vet was under the impression he had contracted the disease from his mother. We contacted the Breeder who denied any culpability. Loosing Eli devastated my girlfriend. We are getting married at the end of this year and I wanted to get her a new BSH as a wedding surprise, I was thinking to get two brothers this time instead of one so they are not alone. But after all the heartbreak we went through with Eli I want to avoid any potential risks. I live in London but am happy to drive to a good breeder within 100miles each way. If anyone could please recommend a reputable breeder for British Short Hairs, I would be extremely grateful,in addition to any advice on having one of them as opposed to two.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: BSH Breeder in South East

Post by alanc »

Being a Maine Coon owner, I can't give direct advice on British Short Hair breeders. All I can suggest is to contact the British Shorthair cat club (http://www.britishshorthaircatclub.co.uk/). They have list of breeders and should be able to give you advice on reliable ones. Best of luck and hope you find one (or two) to be your furry companions. On my very limited experience , I would suggest two kittens rather than one.
Ruth
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 8

Re: BSH Breeder in South East

Post by Ruth »

I'm so sorry to hear about Eli, fip is such a horrible disease.
There are lots of rescues in London that will soon be overwhelmed with kittens as the season gets going.
Do they have to be pedigree? It really doesn't define their character.
What part of London? The celia Hammond trust have branches both south and east of the river and home to a huge part of London and Kent.
SE,SW and East London are definately covered and all kittens and cats that are adopted from them come neutered, microchipped, vaccinated and treated for fleas and worms plus they will have had a full vet check, been with their mums for the right amount of time and been monitored by either a fosterer or member of their animal care team. They are always homed in pairs as kittens thrive with kitten company and need the companionship during the day whilst you are out at work.
Rescue is definately the best route to go.
Good luck ☺️