first time kitten owner - totally blind

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
spottedunicorn23
New Cat Chatter

first time kitten owner - totally blind

Post by spottedunicorn23 »

Hi everyone, I've just signed up as in six weeks I'm going to be the proud owner of a new kitten. I need advice though please. I'm totally blind and it's my first kitten. I have a guide dog, so I will have no trouble caring for my animals. I'm wondering if anyone else has advice on caring for new kittens as a person with a disability, or could offer useful advice on how to cope. I live by myself but have lots of cat-owning friends who I've contacted for advice. I'm thinking of getting a bell with an elasticated collar so I can hear catty moving around. I've got a provisional room in mind for her. I'm adopting the cat from the local CP shelter. Some people have suggested getting adult cat - but I think that could pose more problems as I wouldn't know its background. My thinking is that if the cat and dog are able to grow up together they'll be uused to each other? Any tips/advice would be fantastic!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: first time kitten owner - totally blind

Post by booktigger »

Good luck - a collar with bell sounds a good idea but please make sure it is a safety collar rather than elasticated. I've never homed to a blind person so no advice unfortunately
spottedunicorn23
New Cat Chatter

thank you, that's a good idea. what is the safety collar? I was told to get elasticated in case the cat got caught, she could wriggle out of it, but safety collar sounds better.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

How exciting to be getting a new kitten/cat!

A lot of cat collars are called safety collars when they're not safe. Elasticated collars are often called safety collars but they can strangle a cat.

Look for the terms quick-release, breakaway or snap-open AND this is really important:
- Make sure the collar fits properly.
- Test the strength of the clasp yourself to ensure that it is quick-release and suitable for your kitten/cat.
- Never apply spot-on treatment with the collar in situ. If spot-on treatment is required, remove the collar, apply the treatment and leave the collar off overnight for the pet's coat to dry fully before putting the collar back on. Spot-on treatments can glue the clasp together and/or glue the collar to the pet!
Last edited by Marla on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Congratulations on your new addition and I hope all goes well for you, your dog and the new kitten.

A safety collar has a special buckle that releases if their is any strain on it. The elasticated ones will pull off if the cat catches it and pulls away in the right direction however if they try and go the wrong way it doesn't work and in the worst case scenario a cat can get a paw through the collar which pulls it tight and can lead to nasty wounds in the equivalent of the cat's armpit. I personally would always go for a safety collar if I was using one. A bell on the collar is a good idea, but I would actually advise putting a second on, cats are incredibly nimble and can learn to move and not to jingle the bell, the second bell makes this much harder. Also make sure that you have plenty of spare collars and bells as the collars are designed to come off if caught on something and some cats seem to become masters at taking them off and hiding them. Also, if the kitten isn't already done, make sure to get them microchipped just incase they decide to escape and go wandering.

As far as feeding goes, remember that a dog can eat cat food with out a problem, but a cat can not survive on dog food as it tends to have lower levels of some of the vitamins and minerals that a cat needs. The odd meal won't hurt but you do need to make sure that the kitten is eating the food it should.

As far as the other end is concerned, I wouldn't imagine that sifting through litter to get rid of clumps and solids would be easy for you so you might find using a litter tray liner helps that way you could just lift the used litter out off the tray tie the bag off and replace both bag and litter on a daily basis.

A kitten will be a handful for you, they are incredibly fast and seem to take joy from getting underfoot and into anything they can, it can seem like no gap is too small for them. An adult cat might be a little easier and a good charity would be able to advise you on the personality of the cats they have available and help partner you with one to suit your circumstances, but in the end that choice is yours, I am partially sighted but do have enough to see what is going on around me so I can't really know what would be best for you. Most cats are also very intelligent and I doubt that one will have any problems in learning how to train a blind human instead of a sighted one.

I look forward to hearing how it goes.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Marla, just checking - do kitten collars have a lower snap weight? I always thought a cat should be 2kg before one puts a collar on them because otherwise they'd not be heavy enough to 'snap' the clasp if they get caught on something?

Ruth's post is fairly spot on and there's not much I can add. 100% agree with the microchipping and also obviously getting kitten neutered as soon as you can. And until it's neutered and vaccinations are all done it shouldn't be allowed outside.

Dare I say, I'm inclined to agree that an adult cat may be a better option as a first time cat owner, but then saying that - kittens are huge fun and do grow up fairly soon. But they will need a lot of stimulation and entertainment etc. May I ask - are you generally at home or out and about quite a bit?

Regarding the feeding - Ruth has a good point re the dog vs cat food issue and if finances allow, maybe look at buying a microchip feeder for the kitten, that way only the kitten will be able to get at the food and then you know he / she is getting the right food.

Really look forward to hearing how you get on - best of luck
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

Hi Meriad, quick-release clasps are designed for cats of a certain weight. Ours are for kittens/cats at least 6 month old when they typically weigh 2.75 kg or more. We haven't found a safe collar for younger/smaller kittens so we don't recommend or sell collars for kittens less than 6 months.

I responded because retailers really misuse the term "cat safety collar".
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

if you haven't already chosen a cat/kitten it could be worth asking the rescue to select a noisy cat for you - some, as a lot of us on here know only too well, make their whereabouts known only too vocally - but I would think a cat who would shout at you would be a big help when it comes to locating him'/her
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi there and welcome :)

Your life will never be the same, with a cat ruling the roost :D But I don't think you'll regret it.

I can only add one bit of advice to all the excellent tips already posted and that is, as I learned in my Siamese breeding days, if you're not sure where the cat is, walk very slowly, taking small steps and keeping your feet flat on the ground ... this is known as the 'cat breeder's shuffle' and it's invaluable with an active cat zooming around and knocking into your ankles - means, hopefully, that it can't get under your feet and trip you up or get trodden on.

Hope you and your chosen cat (or will it choose you?) have a long and happy future together :)
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vanilla »

Best to keep kitten in one room first. Also at night time put it in a dog crate with its bed, food and litter tray. Kittens have really sharp teeth and can chew electric wires. I feel comfortable doing this as it's peace of mind. They have so much energy bouncing around. Enjoy your little one!
spottedunicorn23
New Cat Chatter

thank you so much for all the replies. Well, I had to giggle at the cat breeders shuffle, I could make up a little song whilst doing it. Re how often do I go out/away, it's something Mum and I were discussing. I'm currently unemployed, but I visit my Mum at the other end of the country for about five days at a time every couple of months. I am also worrying about how soon I can leave the kitten by herself, as naturally I have to take my guide dog out. I'm concerned he might not appreciate being cooped up while I look after the cat. Also, a friend quite rightly pointed out that when people come through the front door, she will invariably get out - which terrified me! I like the idea of getting a dog crate, but can cats handle being shut up? This is something I would never do with a dog, as they feel incredibly claustrophobic, but I am aware cats and dogs are totally different when it comes to behaviour/likes/dislikes. I still really want a cat, but the last few days have left e with more questions than answers.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Cats can be placed in a cage for a hour or so, or shut in a room for several days, but they do need the room to run around and jump and climb on things to keep them fit and healthy. As for leaving them I wouldn't want to leave a kitten alone for more than a few hours, it is one reason we always adopted adult cats as we were at work all day, an adult cat however can be left for a few days at a time as long as there is someone to come in and feed them, change the water and clean the litter tray. Cats are generally far more independent than dogs.

As far as escaping goes, that might be a big problem for you. We are lucky that we have a porch with a separate door into the house as well as the front door, so we can make sure they aren't in the porch with us before we open the front door. We also have a cat flap and ours come and go as they please, we are lucky enough to live on a quiet street so while there is always a risk when they are out, it is about as minimal as it can be. As they are used to being out they know the area and know how to get home if they do get out the front which no matter how careful you are can happen. One of my youngsters managed to fall out the bedroom window not long after we had him, he was sat on the window looking out and the window was only open half an inch to let a bit of air in. Unfortunately the hinges were too well oiled and the next thing we knew was he had pushed it open and then slipped off the outside window sill. I think I went down stairs almost as fast as he had, fearing the worst, and out the front door, to find him wandering happily around the front garden, totally unharmed. If you do want to keep your cat indoors you might want to research window screens and door screens which might help contain them.

With what you have said I really wonder if you would be better with an adult cat rather than a kitten. A good cat charity will be able to tell you what the cat's temperament is like and help you find one to match your circumstances. If you intend keeping it as an indoor only cat they might have ones that require that type of home for medical reasons, or have come from an indoor only home so won't be as bothered about getting out. They should also be able to tell you if the cat is fine with dogs which is essential in your case.

I see no reason why you shouldn't have a cat as well as your guide dog, but you do need to make sure you get the right animal for your situation and carefully consider what would be the best option, which you are obviously doing. Have you considered contacting a local rescue charity or your local branch of Cats Protection and having a chat with the people there. A good charity will always insist on a home check being carried out as they have the animals wellbeing at heart and want to make sure the home is suitable. The way you are thinking things through I don't think you would have any problems passing a home check as long as you are willing to listen to any advise given.