Totally non-toxic wood treatment

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Totally non-toxic wood treatment

Post by MarkB »

We had a deck put in a couple of years ago. I bought some Cuprinol at the time,but have been too nervous about using it because of the cats. I came across this stuff. Apparently you mix it with water, so very easy and quick to do and it dries in no time, but preserves wood 'for a lifetime' there are some good reviews on Amazon, but it is more expensive on there (and under another name)

Anyway, going to measure up. Hopefully the small sachet (15m2) will be enough.

Our deck is looking pretty grim at the moment :lol:

http://www.thenaturalgardener.co.uk/lif ... atment.php
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Totally non-toxic wood treatment

Post by Kay »

do let us know how you get on with it, Mark

it sounds just the job for the fence posts of my enclosure, most of which have had to be replaced over the past 15 years
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I'm intrigued Mark. I've used all sorts of wood 'preservatives' over the years and have found the water-basd ones to be total rubbish. I once had to replace an entire fence after two years because I'd used 'environmentally-friendly' preservative and within a year the posts were rotting and warping (partly due to the inferior soft wood we get these days) :roll:

At the moment I use linseed oil mixed with a little turps (NOT white spirit) on dry wood. The turps take the oil into the wood. Not ideal but it seems to work and doesn't bother the cats.

If this stuff is as good as they say - sign me up!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Will report back. Might take a while, as I need to jet wash the deck first. Obviously I will only be able to comment on how easy it is to apply and dry + what it looks like afterwards. I suppose only time will tell how effective it is.

Someone on Purrs suggested this. It also seems OK, but mentions that planed wood might need sanding first. The other stuff claims to work on any type of wood https://www.taylorsgardenbuildings.co.u ... d4e0aac45d