I want to Foster a cat

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Sorsola0001
New Cat Chatter

I want to Foster a cat

Post by Sorsola0001 »

Hi All. I want to foster a cat/cats. I spoke to CPL and they seemed very insistent on me keeping the cats in a cage. I just can't bring myself to do that. I understand that they wouldn't be able to go outside... but a cage?!?!

Is this a normal requirement to foster cats??

If anyone out there is looking for a cat fosterer and doesn't expect me to cage it up, get in touch. I'm in Worcestershire. Own home/car.

I want to see cats lounging on the bed/sofa/stairs etc. Not locked up. (Heartbroken emoji here)
BabyBerlioz
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: I want to Foster a cat

Post by BabyBerlioz »

I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but kittens certainly are better contained unless you are there to supervise them. I certainly kept my wee one in a playpen at night and when I went out during the day. Otherwise he was chewing electrical cables and all other sorts of nonsense. Is it kittens we are talking about here?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'm wondering if they meant a pen, which is what CP uses for people who don't have space in a house, but have outdoor space. A good rescue will ask you to keep foster cats in one room, regardless of whether you have other cats or not - I know it seems hard, but a lot of cats that come into rescue are strays whose behavior you don't know, so it is safer for them and you. And a nice room, with a comfy bed, warm radiator and regular food is better than they'd get on the streets
Sorsola0001
New Cat Chatter

Post by Sorsola0001 »

CPL didn't specify cats or kittens. I have an entire house so room wasn't an issue.

Ive had cats all my life, the only reason I can't adopt permanently is because of work. I usually work away but I've just got a 6 month contract on my doorstep (rare!).

I know what to do with the fluffy angels.

The first few days/weeks, sure, keep them in one room. But then roam!

Surely it depends on the cat, its situation/past?

Anyway. Pen, cage...not doing it.
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

If there are any smaller, local rescue groups in your area you may find that they are more flexible. I know of groups in my area which use foster homes in the way you have in mind, so don't give up.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Depending on which part of Worcestershire you are in and how far you are willing to travel, one of the local Charities near Wolverhampton is always over full and having to turn cats away. If you contact The ARC (The Ashmore Rescue for Cats) and have a chat with Sally she might be able to sort out a foster arrangement with you. The ARC is listed on the shelters list on Cat Chat under the West Midlands so you should be able to get contact details there, or do a google search for the Facebook page.

Some CPL branches seem to favour large pens in gardens, similar to pens cats stay in in a cattery, but I think it varies from branch to branch. Small charities seem to have their own ideas of how the cats are best cared for while waiting to be rehomed, so it would be worth to keep asking around.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

CP are strict about keeping them confined, as they have had issues with illnesses being transmitted to fosterers cats, and cats dying because of it. I used to foster for a charity that allowed you to let them roam round your house, but would never do it again - not that I could with my cat, she chases the neighbours cats out if they dare to come in!
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

I had the same discussion with my local CP. At the time, my previous cat had died, and I didn't have any of my own. I wanted foster cat(s) to share my home, but CP policy was: either in an outside pen, or if indoors, confined to one room with no soft furnishings, so that it could be disinfected between cats. Like the original poster, that wasn't what I wanted. Other shelters said they'd be happy with a share-the-space foster, but I lived too far away from them.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

MarySkater wrote:I had the same discussion with my local CP. At the time, my previous cat had died, and I didn't have any of my own. I wanted foster cat(s) to share my home, but CP policy was: either in an outside pen, or if indoors, confined to one room with no soft furnishings
Exactly same when I contacted our Local CP and I had no cats at the time as my previous cat had passed, and I’d not had another cat for over a year. I ended up fostering for a different rescue for a while, who did allow the foster cats free access of the house.